• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Before I install XP....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gig-O-Ram

I am going to be installing WinXP onto a new hard drive soon, but I wanted to know if I am going to have to install the CD Rom driver first before I do the OS, or if XP will just install?

I found a site that lists a step by step guide to building PC's and one of the steps is installing the CD Rom driver before the OS. It said that it may not be necessary, but this site may be a bit old. It was talking about putting in W98.
This is the site I'm talking about.

I thought I could just throw the XP disc in the drive and it would install, and then all the other drivers would be put in later.

nikhsub1

Unoriginal Macho Moderator
No you wont need a driver for the CD ROM... set bios to boot from CD and bam, you're off and running.

Ascii2

nikhsub1 said:
No you wont need a driver for the CD ROM... set bios to boot from CD and bam, you're off and running.
I Agree with the "No you wont need a driver for the CD ROM" part.

Have BIOS set to boot from the device that cointains the instuction to initiate Windows setup.

stool

That site seems to be a bit out of date. If you are doing XP, what everyone has already said covers you just fine.

OP
Gig-O-Ram

Gig-O-Ram

stool said:
That site seems to be a bit out of date. If you are doing XP, what everyone has already said covers you just fine.

I got the impression it was slightly out of date when the author was referring to doing a Win98 setup. I have found some of it helpful, and some stuff I have already done myself. But it seems like it wouldn't be a place to get current info.