• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

before or after flashing yoru bios do you clear the cmos?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fiji

im wondering do you clear the cmos before or after, or both after you flash your bios?

Scruff McDuff

ptwearnhardtfan said:
After you flash, isn't everything set to defaults again anyhow?

Yeah, that would make sense. My only reasoning for doing it is because the manufacturer tells me so :) BIOS flashing isn't something I like to screw around with.

although, I do remember a time when I didn't know about clearing the CMOS after a flash. Everything seemed to work out then... better safe than sorry with the BIOS, IMO.

kagee108

Ralf Hutter said:
When flashing the BIOS I always follow the manufacturers directions to the letter. They almost always recommend clearing the CMOS after flashing so that's what I do.

Agree 100%!!

:cool:

Milkman

When I flash my Kd7 I use all the recommended switches, one of which clears the bios anyway, but just in case I have a switch mounted in an empty bay cover to clear it without removing the dam sidecover.

-mamer

NookieN

JimmyG said:
Part of the flash routine also clears the CMOS. Clearing it again would be redundant.

The flash utilities for some of my most recent motherboards (e.g. Albatron PX845PEV) don't clear the CMOS, and usually it has not been a problem. The new bios keeps the old settings in the CMOS and loads the default for any new options.