• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Before You Ask

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The news already pub'd...sorry dewd. I will try to catch all the relevant parties next time, ok?

Or you can submit interesting news directly to me at [email protected] and I will be sure you get named.

:)

this is a thread for basics. tha is a more specific question and i dont want to get into derailling this thread as much as we did to poor cathars thread.

need more common questions guys

We still need more info on Bongs and External Watercooling setups from anyone with them. Pics would also be good if you have them.

I catagorically deny ever having anything to do with "Bongs" and if I did I certainly DiD NoT inhale...which couldn't have happened since I dont even know what a Bong is. Nope.

>Dam...where's the incense and who ate my Mallow Bars< :drool:

Q: I'm new to WC and would like you to review this setup I'm thinking of buying...

A: These posts are as common as they come in the WC forum. They vary from posting complete DIY installations to comparisons between complete WC-in-a-box kits. This question can't exactly be answered in a FAQ, since every person that wishes to WC will have different goals in mind; quiet cooling, highest overclock, compact design... or maybe they just want to be as cool as Vonkaar. The basic answers to these posts are:

1) If the system is a proprietary cooler-in-a-box (Swiftech's solution) is it from a respected source? Swiftech puts out quality parts, but ABC Cooling CO may not be the best product. The most common response to someone wanting to go with a pre-packaged cooling setup is, "You should be able to get a better performing system for a cheaper price if you build your own setup." For those that truly wish to stick with a WC-in-a-box, stick with name-brands and well-reviewed setups and you'll be fine. Otherwise...

2) For piece-by-piece, review me questions, there is a 95% chance that every component on your shopping list has already had some sort of review or post discussing its quality and performance. If you have to hear someone say that the Eheim 1250 has a good reputation, you didn't use the search button and people will scorn you for it. Especially me. Tygon tubing over rubber hose? Puhlease... do a basic search... Your shopping list might get narrowed down to 1 or 2 components that haven't been discussed. Great! Ask about them and save the NEXT person the headache of finding opinions on that component.

3) Some companies sell packages that are very much like a DIY setup. You might see an Eheim 1250 with a Maze4, Black-Ice radiator and Tygon tubing. Good package! The best thing to find out is, are you saving any money? Look around and see if the $200 package couldn't be bought separately for $120.

Q: I'm in the UK and I get confused when I see the acronym WC. In my country, this doesn't exactly mean "Water-Cooling." Can we switch to something less offensive?

A: Yes. I have come up with a new acronym that could work just as well, yet shouldn't confuse the Brits.

.....P.I.S.S.: Proprietary Icing of System Solutions. This is easy enough to remember and gets the point across.

This could work wonders to avoid a bewildered forum. From now on, I will refer to my "wc" setups as a **** setup. Ask away, ye inquiring minds! I will answer all of your **** questions!

This FAQ is coming along nicely. Keep up the good work.

Wouldn't it be cool if the link to the sticky thread was sent to anyone posting to the water cooling part of the forum for the first time via PM. Just a thought.

Working on a few more... most of the basics have been covered. I'm sort of wondering if we should include the 'look elsewhere' questions. Like, people often suggest something they see as 'new' when it's simply phase-change... or tec-cooling. Maybe define them and point them in the right direction?

i thought about it but we have to have something to scream at noobies about ;)

actualy i might do it later after i give some thought to wording because after speaking to peole with really bad english with lots of japanese mixed in you tend to go into a mode of speach that starts to confuse people and sounds like gibberish

I'm definitely a noob and here are some common question topics that we have no (un-Searched for) answer to:
1.Resevoirs: Y or N, Home-made or Commercial, what about Bay-res (they are cool to look at, but...), can you make one that doesn't restrict flow?
2.Budget system: cheapest stuff to get, period.
3.Where to buy stuff, specifically, and how much it costs.
4.Cases:it can't possibly fit in mine, can it?... There's a HDD cage where the radiator's supposed to be!... what caseshould for a new sys?...Budget?... Best? .. Do I have to cut fan holes in it?
5.Fans: what's the best 120mm fan?... this leads to: dBA vs CFMs and believe me, it's hard to pick the right fans out of what's out there available, esp. when advertised specs are B.S.
6.How much will WC lower my temps? How much higher FSB can I expect versus HSF?
I'll try to think of more.

Jibjo said:
I'm definitely a noob and here are some common question topics that we have no (un-Searched for) answer to:
1.Resevoirs: Y or N, Home-made or Commercial, what about Bay-res (they are cool to look at, but...), can you make one that doesn't restrict flow?
2.Budget system: cheapest stuff to get, period.
3.Where to buy stuff, specifically, and how much it costs.
4.Cases:it can't possibly fit in mine, can it?... There's a HDD cage where the radiator's supposed to be!... what caseshould for a new sys?...Budget?... Best? .. Do I have to cut fan holes in it?
5.Fans: what's the best 120mm fan?... this leads to: dBA vs CFMs and believe me, it's hard to pick the right fans out of what's out there available, esp. when advertised specs are B.S.
6.How much will WC lower my temps? How much higher FSB can I expect versus HSF?
I'll try to think of more.

Well for the 120mm fan the best one I ahve seen as far as CFM to Dba ratio is that aluminum one, evercool I think... (according ot advertised specs). As for most CFM 120mm I think this is it, 190CFM anyone? and www.sidewindercomputers.com is a good site for getting an idea about niose for fans.

Budget depends on how much work you are willing to do really, that could be explained too (I am gonna go to sleep soon so I won't do it now)

Some places I have heard about that seem to ahve a good rep are:
www.dtekcustoms.com
www.sidewindercomputers.com
www.cooltechnica.com
www.dangerden.com
and there are more maybe but I can't remember them atm.

Back