• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Begginer Watercooler. Some dumb questions and hopfully some good ones too!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ferg

First of all I think Im going to to get an Aquastealth kit, because they are cheap, seem well made, and easy to use. The one that I like best is option 3 if you click here. But, I do have a few questions.

1. Other than cuting 2 holes, one in the bezel and one in the frame of my case is there any other case modification need?

2. Is there anything at all that I absolutly have to have or might be useful that is not included in the kit? Other than thermal paste and botls for attaching the fan to the case.

3. Should I attach the Fan behind the radiator or in front of it? what are the advantages of each?

4. Dumb question im sure. Does the radiator need power or does it cool by running water through a tube with fins to remove the heat?

5. Is there anybody using this water cooling kit, Original Aquastealt? If you are please tell me what you think. Ease of Installation? Leakage problems? Performance? Value?

6. What do I do about switching it on and off? If I am correct the only way to turn it off is to unplug it when I turn my computer off otherwise it will continue to pump water through my system, except that it wont be particurly cool since the fan won't be on. So should I just let it run constantly or is there a way to make it turn off without unpluging?

i ordered the aquastealth2 kit with the big radiator about a week and a half again, this system looks similar to the danger den one (original maze, not maze2), i still wish i had gone with danger den which does look like it would have been cheaper if your going with a peltier, plus they probably dont take so damn long ship them out!
ive heard becooling has excellent customer support, so im sure you could call them up for help
im going to be putting a 120mm hole int he front of my case, and have the fan next to the case wall inside the case blowing air from the outside, over the radiator, and into the case (i might duct it out, depends how hot it gets)
aquastealth2 also has a better clamp so it may not be necseary to bolt it to the mobo

well I gave up on the lackluster response from the forum and emailed Aquastealth. They responded in just a few hours answering all of my questions. So if your wondering they have excellent customer service. It sold me. Also the only difference between the the Aquastealth II unit that recieved the .13 C/W rating and the current Original Aquastealth option 3 is the resivior and tubing. I doubt that the performance is any better at all. For 99 bucks its an exceptional water cooling package.

I have the Leufken kit which is very similar--same radiator, same pump, probably a better water block. I consider it just OK, but not good enough for seeerious overclocking. Mainly the pump is kind of anemic and the radiator is just too small. I don't mean to rain on your parade--I am running pretty stable (but not completely) at 1.54ghz. Both kits are good for what they cost.

I'm soon to replace the pump with a Danner Mag 7 inline unit, which I hope will reduce my load temps 3-5c. If I knew then what I know now I'd have bought the Danger Den kit. My recommendation would be to cancel and do just that if you can afford the extra $100.

see thats the problem. Im gonna have to save up money for a month to get a 100 bucks for the aquastealth kit. I dont do really heavy overclocking so basically what im looking for is something that is at least as good as any air cooler out there, which this is except maybe for the swiftech 462A, and that i can upgrade later if needed.

Flash (Jul 10, 2001 10:45 p.m.):
I have the Leufken kit which is very similar--same radiator, same pump, probably a better water block. I consider it just OK, but not good enough for seeerious overclocking. Mainly the pump is kind of anemic and the radiator is just too small. I don't mean to rain on your parade--I am running pretty stable (but not completely) at 1.54ghz. Both kits are good for what they cost.

I'm soon to replace the pump with a Danner Mag 7 inline unit, which I hope will reduce my load temps 3-5c. If I knew then what I know now I'd have bought the Danger Den kit. My recommendation would be to cancel and do just that if you can afford the extra $100.

what size tubing are you using on the Danner model 7 ? that's a serious pump!

what size tubing are you using on the Danner model 7 ? that's a serious pump!

Actually, I've decided that the Mag7 would be overkill and I'm going to step down to the Mag5 (which is probably still overkill :)). I'm thinking that I may switch to a cooling tower setup down the road, so I want a pump that can move some water. I'm using 3/8" tubing (inner diameter).

Back