• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benchmarks proving [email protected] has negligible impact!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

muddocktor

Retired
Someone posted this link over at the Icrontic DC forum and it is really interesting. Now we have concrete proof that [email protected] has a negligible impact on your system's performance, whether at work or at the house gaming. So your lame @$$ friends can't use the excuse, "It will slow down my >insert game/app< use to where I can't play/work any more":D . The Tech Report did the tests and the results will surprize many of the doubters that you might know. Here is one more arrow in our arsenal to shoot down lame excuses for why someone wouldn't fold.:cool:

Fold on!
muddocktor

NASsoccer

On a string I was held Senior
muddocktor said:
You got that right, FA.:) I beat you here to post it though. :p

hehe, i just saw it over there to and was coming to post too! thanks for the news mudd and thanks to shorty for the link!

FOLD ON
NAS

BBigJ

Good link, guys. I'll definitely use that as ammo for recruiting. I have one question though, what about linux? I've noticed that when I run the "top" command on my linux boxes, it shows fah using 10-15% of the cpu time even when it is running other tasks. My biggest workhorse is a computer that is frequently used to do quantum calculations on chemical structures. The owner of that box always turns off folding when he runs his calculations (and rarely remembers to turn it back on) and I can't really blame him because 10-15% can mean days of productivity.

Dissolved

Yea, i get horrible lag in CS also when folding is running. ill have a under 30 ping on a sever and when i see another player and try to shoot them sometimes i lag and i end up dieing be4 i can even get a round off. it happeneds now and then but only when [email protected] is running. ive had a gf3 and now a gf4, and same deal.

schismspeak

Well some of the reason for programs opening slower, is ram usage, if you dont have much ram(like my 256MB) windows starts using the page file(which is a hundred times slower), but I will fix that soon enough with 512mb more ram, then I plan on turning the page file off.

Neglegible? Most of the time.

flixotide

LMAO.... I was browsing the thread too, believing it was brand new, until I looked at the date-stamp.

[email protected] runs well with games like Cycling Manager, Championship Manager, Industyr Giant, Railroad Tycoon, NBA Live 2003, StarCraft, Diablo 1, 2 & LOD.. heck, most of my games run nicely even with [email protected] in the background.

Only UT2K3 seems to stutter a bit..

Cheers, Flix

OCn00b

The only game i'm playing these days is diablo 2/LOD and I keep folding running and never have any problems. I guess it could be because it's an older, less system intense game.

pik4chu

Senior Yellow Forum Rat
schismspeak said:
Well some of the reason for programs opening slower, is ram usage, if you dont have much ram(like my 256MB) windows starts using the page file(which is a hundred times slower), but I will fix that soon enough with 512mb more ram, then I plan on turning the page file off.

Neglegible? Most of the time.

I got a gig of ram and a gig page file :rolleyes: