• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bent front USB pins on mobo, fixable?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you're comfortable soldering, you could easily replace one pin. Hot enough and it should just slide thru the plastic in the connector. Pins are dirt cheap online, they come in strips and you cut to width. If you do not solder, a friend could do it for you if you know someone. It would be a 2 minute job.

Or live with it. Personally I'd repair it, but also it is good to be aware that you can damage a multi-layer PCB if you pump too much heat into it.

If you're comfortable soldering, you could easily replace one pin. Hot enough and it should just slide thru the plastic in the connector. Pins are dirt cheap online, they come in strips and you cut to width. If you do not solder, a friend could do it for you if you know someone. It would be a 2 minute job.

Or live with it. Personally I'd repair it, but also it is good to be aware that you can damage a multi-layer PCB if you pump too much heat into it.

If this happened to me I would replace the 1 pin like you said, having worked in electronic manufacturing for 10 years. But most people don't solder so that is why I said for the OP to use a USB 3.0 hub with external power to use port 1. Also I think he had the MB in use so it was easier this way.

Oh I thought you were suggesting to use the hub in order to make more ports from the one still-good port. Powered hub to use a port w damaged power is a great idea.

Back