• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bent Pins and Bad Eyesight

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goatzool

I have upgraded my P4 several times and have a huge problem. I have been using a Volcano 7, which rocks the CPU forcibly if you install the clips one at a time. Now the SOB HSF has bent the pins on my new 2.5 so it won't seat in its ZIF socket.

I am going to RMA it, but I have a similar problem with a 2.26 caused by the same one pound chunk of swaying copper.

I've looked at other posts and folks say that the pins can be bent back. I am old and my eyesight sucks. I can tell the pins are bent by the occasional glint of stray light as I hold it up near a light bulb but I can't realistically mess with it.

Is there anyplace or anyone that fixes bent pins? I lost the Intel box so I can't provide the serial numbers or anything. I bought it used from a guy on Ebay. Should I try borrowing a microscope?

Any suggestions would be welcome.

I have switched to a gemini waterblock, which requires that the mobo be removed for installation, but puts far less pressure on the processor and keeps it about 15 degrees cooler.

D2DM

maybe by using a knife blade (blunt side) (or any hard flat thin pieces of material)

Set it between the pinrows and bend all straight.
Maybe put a "wall" (second knifeblade) for the pins to be pushed into.
And check if the pins are ok by the "look into light over pinrow" method. North South.. and East West direction.

Did that with 486 and 586.
Pins on P4 are more fragile I suppose..

batboy

Senior Moment
I use a high quality magnafying glass for that kind of work, but I can't imagine a heatsink doing that to pins unless you're not firmly and fully seating the CPU down into the socket. I have a Swiftech heatsink and it sure is big and heavy too. I've had it on three different CPUs now and never had a problem. Those tiny pins are a pain in the hinny to straighten.

EgeWorks

Slide a credit/bank card between two rows of pins, then gently bend the bent ones straight with a toothpick or plastic probe or something. If your eyesight isn't great use a magnifying glass.

FIZZ3

I don't mean to offend you, but can't you have your eyesight corrected? I'd think a pair of glasses are a wiser investment than outsourcing these kind of jobs.

batboy

Senior Moment
I can relate to not seeing little stuff very good anymore. I'm now in my mid-40's and used to have eagle eyes back in my younger days. Now, even with my reading glasses on, those dang CPU pins are barely visible. I have a good glass magnifying glass and a folding high power 10X hand lens with case (like geologists use). I've straightened individual pins before using tweezers, but you have to be careful.

deez

A jewelery or watch repair guy could probably straighten the pins for you. Those guys would have the right tools and look at little stuff all day.

OP
G

goatzool

Thanks for all the suggestions. I had my teenage daughter use a credit card, tweezers, and her excellent eyesight to get the pinds back to where they drop into the ZIF socket. It is a tedious task because the pins have to be both upright and straight. If their tips are in the right place, but they still have a bow to them, they won't seat.

As for correcting eyesight, Fizz3 may be in for a rude awakening as he ages. Everyone's lenses become stiff between the age of 40 and 50 and focusing on "macro" subjects just becomes impossible. Powerful magnifying glasses help, but not for very fine detail like CPU pins. The best remedy is to have helpful children.

FIZZ3

goatzool said:
As for correcting eyesight, Fizz3 may be in for a rude awakening as he ages. Everyone's lenses become stiff between the age of 40 and 50 and focusing on "macro" subjects just becomes impossible. Powerful magnifying glasses help, but not for very fine detail like CPU pins. The best remedy is to have helpful children.

I said I meant no offense...

OP
G

goatzool

No offense taken

Hi, Fizz3, no offense taken. To put things in context, Americans are getting less and less medical care relative to their European counterparts, and so the idea of simply fixing a vision problem medically may seem easier to you then it does to me. But from what I'm told, there is no real medical solution to this one, anyway. Maybe Intel can start making processors with large fonts for us seniors.

FIZZ3

Re: No offense taken

goatzool said:
Hi, Fizz3, no offense taken. To put things in context, Americans are getting less and less medical care relative to their European counterparts, and so the idea of simply fixing a vision problem medically may seem easier to you then it does to me. But from what I'm told, there is no real medical solution to this one, anyway. Maybe Intel can start making processors with large fonts for us seniors.

Well I'm no expert in this area either. It's too bad if it can't be 'fixed'... it's never pleasant to lose abilities one used to have. Glad you didn't take my suggestion the wrong way in any case.