• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

benz4140 is 979 worldwide.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hallen said:
Notice the cpu times dropping

24970 1:59:52.4
26834 1:54:05.2
27294 1:53:15.3
That would tend to reason. When I went from the gui seti to the clc seti, my average time to crunch was around 20hr and is now closer 10hrs for an overall average. Maybe he has found a more efficient way crunch a wu. And as before, I wish he would share the wealth:cool:

I don't know. Maybe he got a new cruncher. The last 2324 wu's were done at an average time of 42 minutes each.

Welcome SPY!

What exactly are you suggesting by "Do the right thing"? Berkley has been asked to step in and verify his results and placed on notice that there appears to be something here that needs attention. They however to this point in time have not attached as serious a notice to this as our team and apparently you have. If and when Berkley makes a move then this team can take appropriate action but until then as you can see we are monitoring and noting the actions of this member.

Thank You For Your Kind Suggestion.

SkyHook

I agree with the other frog's assessment of the situation as not being on the up-and-up, because it does look a lot like he's cheating, but acting on a simple hunch or suspicion is simply not acceptable either. Until Berkeley responds to our inquiries, there isn't much we can do about it. If it turns out he's cheating, rest assured, he'll be booted.

Like Skyhook, I'd also like to thank you for your input.

Stryfe said:
I really would like to know how he can cruch a WU in 42min!!!

Seems pretty obvious to me....

....no client can crunch a wu in 42 minutes on any commercially available computer regardless of OS, therefore he must be doing these work units by hand. ;)

Look guys I could remove him from the team right now, but I really would prefer to hear from Berkeley first. It's possible that his e-commerce bank has a ton of computers for him to run seti on, and he could be editing the completion times, thinking it looks really impressive to those whom know no better. I seriously doubt this is the case, but I'd like to get a firm answer before moving on this. Rest assured we don't want cheaters among us.

Clarification

TC, as well as the rest of the team:

I hope my response was not mistaken for some kind of defense of cheating, or condemnation of what has been done about this to this point in time. First, if he is clearly shown to be in the wrong I would be disappointed in anything less than his banning not only from this team but from the entire SETI Project. Second, I believe that TC and SpeeDj, and anyone else involved have handled this with the only logical approach. They have represented the team well by stepping up and making Berkley aware that "we" were uncomfortable about this member's results as well as his lack of willingness to communicate. If and when Berkley makes a determination I feel certain that the leaders of this team will act accordingly and I support their efforts.

jazztrumpet216 said:
I agree with the other frog's assessment of the situation as not being on the up-and-up, because it does look a lot like he's cheating, but acting on a simple hunch or suspicion is simply not acceptable either. Until Berkeley responds to our inquiries, there isn't much we can do about it. If it turns out he's cheating, rest assured, he'll be booted.

Yea, I should also clairfy. Until Berkeley responds to our inquiries, there isn't much we SHOULD do about it, as we only have suspicions. I too will support our team leaders decisions. I don't think there is really much point to using hacked clients and cheating because by using these things, you're not doing real WU's, just faking and forging your way to the top. It really kinda defeats the purpose of the SETI project, and his removal of the team would be more than appropriate if it is proven that he is truly cheating.

Like everyone, I am interested in knowing what he is doing. Maybe he has stumbled on a quicker and more accurate method of ripping a wu. Well, duh on the quicker part. It is the accuracy that is most important. If he is getting the best of both, then I will give him two thumbs up and a drink on the house:D

"Where is smoke, there is a fire"
Did u guys have this phrase there in the USA? :)
Well, it´s pretty obvious to me. Unless he have a bunch of 8000mhz alpha´s. http://pages.tca.net/roelof/setispy/setitimer.htm
He will never respond to any call. He will never come to this board. He will never care about our hard work crunching.
My two cents: dump the scum.
In this day, he will thinq: "at least, they wake up!!!"
I know you guys are just trying to do the best, the right thing. But I don´t think this kind of person understand any other language than the brute force.
If you dump him, and he is not a fake, sure he will contact anyone in the team to know what´s up. But I´m sure he will not.
Sorry about this, but if he is not a fake, I´ll be the first one to apologize. Dump him.

Got Another One As Well

"Where there's smoke-There's Fire" does exist in our culture, but we also have one that goes, "Innocent until PROVEN Guilty". Not "presumed" guilty, or "appears" guilty, "PROVEN" is the keyword and that is what the leaders have asked for and are waiting on from Berkley.

Sorry, I don´t want to offend, of course. I´m a Lawyer, and fully understand the position of the team, you don´t have to teatch me that. Just want to add my two cents. I don´t say kill them, anyway. This is suppost to be a fun thing to do, I just thinq noone here want´s to be fooled, and thinq the team give him a lot of apportunities and he is not acting with good will. Sorry for the language too, or any misunderstand. I´m trying my best to comunicate.

Greeting Firehawk. Welcome to O/C Seti. Your communication comes through loud and clear.

I'm posting Benz4140's progress as a matter of interest to me. If his totals are real then he deservEs praise and the computer and OS he is using would be the best in the computer industry.

If his wu's have not been processed correctly it's no great loss, they just get resubmitted to us and we crunch them on our Intels and AMDs.

Harvey

We're COOL!

Firehawk, I was by no means offended by your comments, and your language is not a problem at all. You are by all means entitled to your opinions and your right to express them in an open forum is another neat little thing we enjoy here.:)

I just needed to open my big mouth one more time in support of the position our team administrators have taken. As my dad taught me long ago, if it acts like a skunk, and it looks like a skunk, and it smells like a skunk, chances are it's a skunk. In this case the actions and the looks are there, I'm just waiting on the smell to arrive.:eek: :p :eek:

SkyHook

i'm so tired of hearing about benz, let the ppl who need to deal with it and let this thread die. it won't make a bit of difference about the outcome. it'll just mean we'll have to crunch that many more wus to replace him when he gets caught. sorry if i offend neone i'm just getting a bit perturbed seeing this thread livin up every few days.

Back