• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best 3.0 Ghz cpu for my desktop details inside

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaitlin4599

so i picked up a used HP Pavilion a6334f Desktop for 15 dollars at a thrift shop it works but im looking to upgrade the cpu. below is a link to the list of cpu's this desktop supports whats the fastest cpu 3.0 Ghz or above that i can put in this pc?
if the cpu speed is below 3.0 Ghz then i cant use it reason for upgrading such an old pc is just for fun and to run some older games that dont run on my current linux pc money is no issue

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c01297099

so what dual core or quad core cpu that is 3.0 or faster can i put in this baby

trents

You have the info. Research each of those CPU lines. I would make sure you have the latest bios installed before you swap out CPUs.

OP
K

kaitlin4599

but it also says it supports cpus Processor upgrade information
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Intel Core 2 Quad (Y) Q9xxxx
Intel Core 2 Duo (W) E8xxx
Intel Core 2 Quad (K) up to Q6600
Core 2 Duo E6x00 (C) up to E6700
Core 2 Duo E4x00 (C) up to E4400

so 8xxx and q9xxxx leave me wondering hence why i asked whats the best and fastest

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I probably wouldn't put a quad in that board TBH it's old already and putting added stress on it won't help. Look for E84-8700 would be my recommendation. The old games aren't likely to use a quad core anyway.

trents

but it also says it supports cpus Processor upgrade information
Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Intel Core 2 Quad (Y) Q9xxxx
Intel Core 2 Duo (W) E8xxx
Intel Core 2 Quad (K) up to Q6600
Core 2 Duo E6x00 (C) up to E6700
Core 2 Duo E4x00 (C) up to E4400

so 8xxx and q9xxxx leave me wondering hence why i asked whats the best and fastest

The "xxx" means all CPUs in the 8 thousand and 9 thousand series, at least the ones that were out on the market at the time that information was published.

As Johan45 posted, the Core 2 Duo E8xxx series is a safe bet upgrade and will give you a significant boost without endangering the motherboard. The cor 2 duo 8xxx CPUs are cheap on ebay as well. I see them in the $10 range frequently while the higher end quads are much more expensive.

Last edited: