• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 5.1 speakers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snvpa

I'm really not all that up on whats out there in the speakers world these days so I want to know what the best 5.1's out are. Cost is really no object though obviously less is better. i want excellent sound reproduction, fiber optic connection and powerful bass. I play games and listen to techno very loudly, demand excellent sound and am willing to pay a premium for it. I'll be purchains these right after the holidays are over. Suggestions? :beer:

sounds like you want home theatre speakers. Just about any receiver will have an optical digital input, and you'll get much better sound than a set of computer speakers. Look at what's on sale at Best Buy or Crutchfield to find a good set.

edit: those logitechs are a good option too

I have been using the logiteck z680 for a few years. They are better than my Home theater sys. I never go over 20% form 0, it's both digital and analog hook ups. It's like being in a movie theater. They don't make them anymore I think, but are still sold. The woofer and other speakers synk sooo well. It's still amazing to me.

Z5500s are better than that set. The Z5500s are new old now. They are 550RMS and 1000watts peak power. I never use 1/3 of the max and they are rockin'. They really bring out the power of the old SoundStorm sound processor.

It's Digital or bust.

The 5450 are overpriced it's basically the satellites from the Z5500s but with a weaker sub and a new fancy reciever.

Slight problem with the Z5500s was people would crank them to 100% leave it there for too long and let it overheat. The newer revision subs fixed this. Logitech warrents them for 3 or 5 years and will ship a new pair out if you blow them so it's all good.

EDIT: They changed the warrenty for 2 years for all their speakers. My old z680s had 3 years.

heh, I am sure the newer versions of my speakers have had some great improvements and other in the product line. I have never felt the need to upgrade cause they are to me "That Good".

Thanks for the responses, while I will consider a home theater I already have one of those, its jsut in the other room, I like the 5500's as well and they are about 100 bucks cheaper at the egg right now. I will probably go with those barring anything new coming out. Thanks for the quick replies.

infini said:
heh, I am sure the newer versions of my speakers have had some great improvements and other in the product line. I have never felt the need to upgrade cause they are to me "That Good".

They are that good but the Z5500s are just better. I had a problem with the Z680's sub called Logitech, they said busted fuse can't be "user replaced" so they were to replace em' oops Z680s out of stock how about some Z5500s. Use those for a few months, got hissy called them told me there's something with the amp they send another pair this time the differece was the way they wired the system together.

Overall great service and great speakers. They acknowledged there was a problem and was willing to correct it. If only other companies (cough General Motors cough) did this we'd be sitting pretty.

Oh yah! I know that was a hassle with the Z680. I think that was the 1st batch, but not sure. Honestly I get a hissing when I play DVD's really loud, but it has not been a real issue for me. I also don't think they would replace my box since I have had it a while already.

Back