• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 754 board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

princeofdarknes

Hey guys, could you help me out here?
I was wondering what the best skt 754 board would be for a sempropn 64 2600+.
I'd like to know one for Under $100 and Under $200, with agp slot(s)
the main thing i'm lookin for is overclocking, i want to at least get the fsb to 250<, i've always wanted to see my little sempron at 2ghz.

I'd wanna know both $100 and $200, because christmas is coming up, and i usually get around either those two amounts at christmas :D, so i can have an idea for both ranges.
Thanx in advance

PS: an agp lock would be nice <.<;;

Avg

DFI Lanparty nf3 s754 was afaik is good choice, but there was never a really good nf3 board all the good ones had a couple of flaws.

kovboi

the Asus K8N-E Deluxe is a good all around board. Not as many overclocking options as the DFI, but you should still be able to hit a reasonable oc with it.

OP
princeofdarknes

princeofdarknes

I think i'll go with the DFI Lanparty UT nF3 250gb unless something better is found, it looks more to suit my needs, plus its uv reactive :p
Thanx guys,
oh and i was wondering, if anyone knows, if there's a normal power switch pin set on the board other than the ez-touch thing?

Last edited:

Sleeper

Registered
I did a bunch of searching and came up with these.
My choice was:
Chaintech VNF3-250 Great overclocker, cheap, pretty simple to use, stable. (Multiplier and temp reading issues have been dealt with in newer bios.)

I had looked at the DFI Lanparty NF3 250, and it is "The Cream of the Crop," but it truly is geared towards the serious OC'r. It, like any performance machine, is a bit picky about the things that go into it, (Memory, PS, etc) It requires a lot more patience, knowledge, and $$$ to get it to perform up to it's expectations. But if like that kind of challenge, there is a lot of support out there for it
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/index.php?s=

The rest seem like good boards but all seem to have some unresolved bugs (I could find no definitive solutions)
Epox Nforce 250 EP- 8KDA3 series some bugs (undervolting)
MSI K8N NEO-FSR Must use compatible video card and has AGR instead of AGP
Gigabyte K8NS Low voltage 2.7v Not a great OC'r Must use clockgen to get FSB over 240

Paul

kovboi

Sleeper said:
I did a bunch of searching and came up with these.
My choice was:
Chaintech VNF3-250 Great overclocker, cheap, pretty simple to use, stable. (Multiplier and temp reading issues have been dealt with in newer bios.)

Oh man, I hope you have better luck with that board than I did. I had to RMA two of them before giving up and getting an asus k8n-e deluxe. Temp readings were from outerspace and it didn't like my 6800nu at all. Still, it has a lot of good reviews as the overclocker's budget choice so hopefully history won't repeat!

Sleeper

Registered
kovboi said:
Oh man, I hope you have better luck with that board than I did. I had to RMA two of them before giving up and getting an asus k8n-e deluxe. Temp readings were from outerspace and it didn't like my 6800nu at all. Still, it has a lot of good reviews as the overclocker's budget choice so hopefully history won't repeat!

I'll find out in a couple of days when it gets here. Apparently the temp issued have been rsolved in the 7/29 bios. I'm getting a 2800+ Sempy (Venice 90nm)as well
I had looked at the K8N-E Delux as well (all my past boards have been Asus's) and it looked really good, but was a bit too expensive for my budget.
Every board I looked at had some complaints, but I had to weed out the "user error" complaints, and one time fluke stuff, and see what repeated issues were aired and what solutions were found. I did a lot of lurking/searching on many different boards.

Paul

Paul

david04

Registered
I had a DFI Ultra lanparty ut 250gb, good quality board. But it it was unstable with my 6800 (nforce 3+geforce 6800 problems, search for that) So i moved onto a KV8 Pro v1.1 with working agp locks. I switched it out to a Gigabyte ULi one because I wanted to sell the KV8 seperately and my sempron + gigabyte as a combo.

OP
princeofdarknes

princeofdarknes

thanx guys, for all of your help.

I took a look at the Chaintech VNF3-250, but it doesnt look like it has exactly what i want, i'm still lookin towards the lanparty because it has a Firewire port, i have an old ipod, 8ch audio, and a gigabit lan(dont know how much this helps me but it seems faster with the mobo i have now especially over the network). I like to have those on the board because i cant have PCI cards cluttering up my exhaust fan cooling my agp :p. Even if i didnt get the DFI and didnt care about the exhaust, i'd still be paying around $100 for the board and pci cards (firewire, soundcard).

Are there any REAL bad drawbacks when going with the DFI, wherever i read they say its a very stable board, Plus it has UV glowey parts wich is a plus :D
I wanna overclock, experiment. And i wanna be the talk of the lanparty :D with my beauxtiful case

Are all of these "tweaking" options needed to be tweaked to simply overclock my fsb non-outrageous amounts?