• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best amd cpu for 754 atx socket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z3ro cool

Hey Guys Hey,

I just got a throw away case with a Lan Party UT NF3 250GB Socket 754 ATX Motherboard (or i think it is, there are no identifying markers i can find but a google image search looks like thats what it is).

Anyway , im gonna try to put this together for some playing and learning on overclocking etc.

It was free so it was a good deal lol,

Weird off brand aftermarket case, with glass side and the previous owner had little stock old fans jerry rigged all over the case :rofl:, so I'm thinking it had some heat issues from oc without a proper cooler.

it has a sweet 3.5 floppy jerry rigged into the case too :bang head along with the dvd drive and another drive i can't even recognize wtf it is :shock: LOL.

So anyway suggestions on this mobo and what cpu to oc for it would be awesome!!

Update, looks like best processor for this socket might be the 3700+ Athelon,

Athlon 64 3700+ 2.4 GHz 1024 KB 800 MHz 12x 1.50 V 89 W

processors seem cheap and abundant enough but at only 2.4hz stock might not even be worth it...

let me know what yall think..

That's a nice find you have there Z3ro. That socket is a little older for me but there are quite a few old school guys still hanging around that, I'm sure, have more knowledge of this socket.

After a little digging it looks like the 3700+ is the go to processor with the 3400+ a nice contender.

Be sure to post some screen shots with your max clocks and benchmark scores.

That's a nice find you have there Z3ro. That socket is a little older for me but there are quite a few old school guys still hanging around that, I'm sure, have more knowledge of this socket.

After a little digging it looks like the 3700+ is the go to processor with the 3400+ a nice contender.

Be sure to post some screen shots with your max clocks and benchmark scores.

Thanks, if this mobo actually works I will for sure, still have some parts to find and order and sort some stuff out, currently googling for a driver source and a trouble shooting guide for this mobo so i can check a few things before i get to deep into it.

If nothing else, the backside of the mobo is plain black, with Lan Party graphics on it, so it might make a nice office shelf decoration if it doesn't work!

Top CPU would be the, AMD MOBILE ATHLON 64 4000+ (NEWARK) with the right BIOS

I found those listed as well, but didn't quite understand the "Mobile" processor designation so I didnt think those were an option.

This wiki page here is where i found the listed cpu's i was looking into. Any info on what the Mobile designation actually means and if there are any limitations on it??

And bios might be an issue, since dfi only does industrial apps now and their Lan Party referance page where they had drivers no longer works(I found the links googling, but they are dead)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Athlon_64_microprocessors

:welcome:

I remember my first skt 754 PC. Unfortunately, AMD stopped supporting that socket fairly quickly and that left guys like myself with no upgrade path. I don't recall that OC'ing on skt 754 was very successful but I could be wrong in which case it could be hella fun. The price is definitely right so you can't lose anything but I wouldn't put any money into it. It's a very limited platform.

Also, look carefully at the capacitors on the mainboard. This was the time era when capacitors would buldge, leak and fail. Recapping was quiet the thing in that era. That could be the ultimate reason for the trash find.

If you have the ability, a few pictures of your find with the wonky floppy would be cool. I'm also interested in the mystery drive. My biggest fear is that I will know what it is on sight. ;)

:welcome:

I remember my first skt 754 PC. Unfortunately, AMD stopped supporting that socket fairly quickly and that left guys like myself with no upgrade path. I don't recall that OC'ing on skt 754 was very successful but I could be wrong in which case it could be hella fun. The price is definitely right so you can't lose anything but I wouldn't put any money into it. It's a very limited platform.

Also, look carefully at the capacitors on the mainboard. This was the time era when capacitors would buldge, leak and fail. Recapping was quiet the thing in that era. That could be the ultimate reason for the trash find.

If you have the ability, a few pictures of your find with the wonky floppy would be cool. I'm also interested in the mystery drive. My biggest fear is that I will know what it is on sight. ;)

I snapped a few pics as I was getting ready to tear into it, i need to load them to a site to post, i will when i get a few more done.

the photobucket debaucle has made it kind of irritating, so i made a flikr, and they are changing stuff around too.

Photography and now video are some of my major hobbies so will get some pics up soon. I've only taken a few quick snaps with my phone so far, but I should take some real pics with one of my dslr's tonight.

Ive done some preliminary oc investigation on this board and some of the cpu's that fit, from what ive found so far i should be able to get it to about 3.1 stable, IF i can find Lan Party drivers

From that era I'm guessing Zip drive.

Thats what I would have assumed right off the bat first too, need to yank it out of the case to investigate later on..

Edit: Sweet, looks like this site will allow pics to be uploaded direct from PC, ill get some on here later for sure now..

Edit: Sweet, looks like this site will allow pics to be uploaded direct from PC, ill get some on here later for sure now..

Correct. There is a 2.0GB size limit so no need for 12MP setting on that DSLR. LOL

Also if you run into trouble finding a BIOS let us know. We may have a guy for that. ;)

Correct. There is a 2.0GB size limit so no need for 12MP setting on that DSLR. LOL

Also if you run into trouble finding a BIOS let us know. We may have a guy for that. ;)

2.0gb size limit? For one pic or total for all uploades each user?

2.0bg file size would be mountains above 12mp, but i normally do make a smaller size file for pics to upload to web, funny you mention 12mp, i have 2dslr's that are 12, and one thats 24.

Are there any mobo trouble shooting guides you know of, especially one specific to this board I could look at for some simple diagnostics before buying a cpu to stick into it?

Thanks!!

2.0gb size limit? For one pic or total for all uploades each user?

2.0bg file size would be mountains above 12mp, !!

I think that Blay ment MB. 2 MB. :rofl:

I'm going to guess that its a 120 MB floppy drive.

Hahaha yeah, that was a typo.

The only mobo trouble shooting guides I'm aware of would be in your manual if you can locate one. There are a few members here that are very skilled at breathing life back into boards but there is generally a cost associated with it and it's pretty doubtful this particular board is worth it TBH.

I was wondering how long it would take for those ringing ears to reply.

Good evening Scotty.

Likewise.

See what you've done Z3ro? I had to dig out my old LAN PARTY x38 (socket 775) w/ Q6600 for some Cinebench15. I only had an hour and the board is still relatively new to me so I'm still figuring it out. Made it to 2.7Gh with no effort at all.

Back