• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best athlon XP HSF?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pfieffdog

Registered
Right now I'm running a thermaltake Volcano 7 and my cpu runs at 48c idle and goes up into the mid 50's under load and this thing is so loud. I was looking to buy a new HSF setup that will help me bring these temps down. What would you recommend for me as a good HSF combo? Thanks in advance for any replies.

-Greg

Army_Of_1

Depends on how loud your willing to go
SLK-800 HS $45 and Vantec Tornado 84.1CFM $17 is one of the most powerful combinations, but also the loudest

Thermalright AX-7 and Thermaltake Smart fan II is a good combo, for about $35 total

Fever

If you want something quiet with very good cooling get an Alpha PAL 8045 and a 35-50 CFM fan.

The best HS though is an SLK-800 with the higest CFM rated fan you can slap on top of it.

OP
P

Pfieffdog

Registered
What about a combo of SLK-800 and the smart fan II? How does that stack up? Thanks in advance for any replies

-Pfieff

obliv

smart fan II and slk isnt that great, slk requires direct flow fans, just use a rheostat and turn the sucker down when u want it down, still can push about 50 cfm and be relatively quiet, this is what i do with my volcano.

a very good combo is also an ax-7 using this method, ax-7's are cheaper and almost as good, and i think even better than the slk-800 using 40-50cfm fans.

Deathknight

I like my swiftech mcx-462+ alot but some days wish I had gotten the slk-800. One thing I perfer on the 462+ though is the mounting mechanism. Its very easy to use and it makes me feel better transporting my machine knowing that this very heavy HS is secured directly to the mobo.

OP
P

Pfieffdog

Registered
Army_Of_1 said:

Thermalright AX-7 and Thermaltake Smart fan II is a good combo, for about $35 total

For everyone running this setup, what are they getting for temps? Thanks,

-Pfieff

illwillchill

normal use 33C (its a warm apartment) load (39-40) a bit high i think i need to reseat it, careful installing the ax-7 you can easily take out a cap.

Robin Hood

At full rpm (5400) max load is 39*C during prime.
At 4000 rpm, max load is 42*C during prime.

Chip at 1.85v, room temp 20*C and case 23*C.

OP
P

Pfieffdog

Registered
Robin Hood said:
At full rpm (5400) max load is 39*C during prime.
At 4000 rpm, max load is 42*C during prime.

Chip at 1.85v, room temp 20*C and case 23*C.

Thanks, anyone else?