• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best bang for the buck for around $700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

assmanof

Registered
After about 4 years im back to start over again because my Ultra X-connect decided to take my mobo and who knows what else with it. This is what im trying to do, and this is what I need:

I am trying to reach 4ghz on air. I want to upgrade my current video card with one for now and the option to add another as needed.

I need a cpu, mobo, memory, and video card for around $700.

Im all set on the cpu: Intel e8400 (if I can find one)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS4 (overkill or just right?)
Memory: OCZ Platinum Edition 4GB(2 x 2GB) DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) (do I need 1000 or is 800 okay?)
And the video card I really dont know: XFX PVT88PYDD4 GeForce 8800GT ?

Ill be reusing my case, hard drives, and power supply. I just replaced the crappy Ultra with an Antec trio 650w. I can get my hands on a Zalman cpu cooler from a buddy, so thats probably what im going to use.

Feel free to steer me in the right direction in regards to any of these choices. I really need to get this going asap as all my important stuff is on that computer. Its all backed up, but my laptop isnt gonna cut it for more than websurfing.

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. My current rig specs are listed in my sig.

I'm not sure which multiplier the E8400 uses, but i'm sure it's in the 7-9 range which means your in the 450 to 550 fsb range for a 4.0ghz overclock. I like to run memory in sync 1:1. So, high would be 1.1mgz on the memory, which you should be able to get out of the DDR2 1000. I'm not sure how good the OCZ Platinum 800 overclock it maybe attainible. I know you can get those figures with crucial ballistix DDR2 800 D9 sticks. So, check into that if that's something you want to do...

Also, just to make sure you meet/exceed your goal go with a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or Tuniq Tower 120 CPU cooler.

Thanks for the replies. So im good on the cpu and mobo. I think im gonna go with the Ati 3870 from what ive read its a good bargain right now. Do you think 2gigs will be enough? Im not partial to any brand so I'll look into Crucial. Im looking at 2x2gb sticks instead of 4x1gb. It sucks I cant find the friggen e8400 anywhere except for the jokers trying to scalp them for over $300.

I cant find the friggen e8400 anywhere except for the jokers trying to scalp them for over $300.

Zipzoomfly has them in stock... but your gonna pay a premium price because of demand!

Do you think 2gigs will be enough? Im not partial to any brand so I'll look into Crucial.

Yes, 2gig is enough! Watch out i've heard crucial has changed the chips they use.

I think im gonna go with the Ati 3870 from what ive read its a good bargain right now.

I own the visiontek 3870 and I love it. I got mine from microcenter for $191.00

If you want 4GB of ram, then go with the Gskill DDR2 8000 kit. Runs cas 5 but does stock at 1.9 volts and is not prone to failure like the micron ICs are.

If you are looking for the best in performance... the ballistix tracers are great IIRC, run CAS4 all the way up to 1000MHz and beyond... but you will need lots of volts and they will have a short life expectancy. Of course that is where lifetime warranty comes in great :)

Well as soon as I score an e8400 I'll be back on here to get this bad boy up and running. I squeezed as much as I could out of my Athlon now its time to go back to Intel. Last time I used Intel was with the Celeron 300! So 2 gigs of some fast ram it is.

Yeah I scored an e8400 from Tigerdirect! With the 2 day shipping its almost as much as if i got it from Zipzoomfly, but I needed this stuff asap. I'll order the rest from Newegg, my personal favorite. Im gonna order the rest of this stuff today but still undecided on the ram. Do I get fast 2 gigs (pc2 8500) or slower 4 gigs (pc2 8000)? I might go with Vista this time and I dont know if 2 gigs will cut it.

I run 2gigs on vista just fine. My ocz plat rev 2 is able to run 900mhz no problem at 2v. I was running 950mhz at 2.1v but not always stable, so another notch up would have probably been fine.

Microcenter has the 4gb kit for $76 after MIR.

I think im gonna go with 2gigs of the Crucial ballistix pc2 8500. That should do it. Im ordering right now.

Well im still waiting for my stuff but im having second thoughts about the cpu fan. I have a Zalman CNPS 8000 sitting right here that I got for free. It seems kinda small compared to most coolers at 350g. Will it be able to get me to 4ghz or will I have to step up to a larger heatsink? Im looking at the Tuniq Tower and will probably get that if I have to. If the Zalman will work I'll stick with that.

Back