• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Bang for the Buck

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ZeroAquaduct

I'm looking for a new mobo. I'm not an overclocker -- my main concern is stability and performance. Also, I'm looking for mobos that'll give me the best bang for the buck.

After doing some research on the Internet, I came up with the conclusion that the Epox EP-8KHA+ is the best deal. I've also looked at the ABIT KR7-RAID, but it's costs more and doesn't have integrated audio.

What are your recommendations? I also want a mobo that's reasonably popular so I could have access to help if I need it. The Soltek SL-75DRV2 seems to be pretty good, but it looks like not a lot of people have this one, so I can't find a lot of help on it.

Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
good mobo's for less

The Shuttle AK31 r3.1 is a great deal for under $80... it's got 6 pci slots, 4 dimm slots, on-board AC97 audio, fsb up to 166 thru bios, vcore up to 1.85v, and vdimm up to 2.7v. Shuttle also has a higher-end model with better overclocking options, better on-board audio, and RAID... the AK35GT-R for about $110.

Revx

For just a value board, check out the shuttle ak31, if you like the idea of raid, check out the shuttle ak35, the kr7a from abit is good but it essentially brings the same things to the table as the shuttle ak35

NeoMoses

I've built 3 systems with the Shuttle AK31 and I love it. It is fast, stable, and inexpensive. My next system, to be built in the next couple of weeks, will be built on the Shuttle AK35-GTR. It has all the great features of the AK31, and more. More voltage adjustments, better onboard audio, and onboard RAID! For only $100, I know that's the board for me.

Revx

yeh, no doubt, the ak35 is a great board, i just wish some pci and agp dividers would be introduced to it

mbigna

ECS K7S5A is $52 at Newegg. Onboard AC97 Sound and LAN. Will accept either DDR or SDRAM (not both concurrently). Not a great overclocker, but reported to be very stable.

juliendogg

my main rig is the shuttle in my sig. i've a second box with an ecs k7s5a. i got it for the duron that's in this box since i killed my 1700+ somehow. the ecs is a great board. very limited in o/c but if you arent concerned with that it's faster than most kt266a boards are at default. great board, stable and fast. only thing i found is that the ram slots are a bit wacky, had to move my ram to ddr slot 2 to get rid of some random freezes. other than that i love the board. great "bang for the buck" i'd recomend it to anyone that wants a fast, stable non-o/c'd system.

scandalous

Registered
I have built 5 ECS K7S5A based systems, and never had a problem at all... Fast, cheap and stable... Not oc friendly, but at only $52 IMHO it's the best deal out there for mobos..