• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best board for ocing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lanman31337

I have a Shuttle AN35N Ultra, I love it. It might not have the features you're looking for (sata, firewire), but it oc's real nice. See sig for details.

huneycutt

I read tech and user reviews and see nothing but good things about OC'ing the ABIT NFS-7 so will 'prolly get one of those bad boys next time. I use Soltek and Epox but they both pulled totally out of the USA so henceforth I won't do business with them.

Epox 8RGA+ 2500 Barton OC'd 2.2 GHz on air.

CCW

Xtreme refugee
I would also say the NF7-S Rev2.0 and would recommend you don't be tempted to go with tha AN7 (a re-vamped NF7 with uGuru software, and higher vDimm Voltage.) The boards PCB design is flawed, thus requiring a trace cut at the last minute, the boards ahve problems reaching high FSBs, they dont like to go above 210FSB it seems.

Craig

Sp1k3

i hate my main board it blows :( :( :( i have a 1.5 willy, i am thinking about getting the Abit NF7-S but i dont know if it can be done easily with my system cause i have a socket 478 cpu and the Abit NF7-S wants an A socket so i am waiting for someone to tell me if it will work or not i hope it can, cause my computer needs a kick up a notch and a half. i am hoping to get battlefield 1942 and call of duty for Christmas, and dont know how well my pc will handle it. i have a secret weapons demo and it seems to be very laggy (not video card) when i play offline agaist the game, once i get over about 12 i start to go slow mo. so i dont know what that prob is, maybe my ram... I got 384mb sync, (sync aint good for gaming, believe me).

peace

Como

i just bought the NF7-S from www.excaliberpc.com today, its the only place i could find that guarenteed rev 2.0 and working...cost a pretty panny, though. bout $120 after shipping. maybe a little less, but i was finding the NF7 on pricewatch for as low as $60. i sure hope the -S and rev 2.0 are worth it :)

huneycutt

To Sp1k3

"i hate my main board it blows i have a 1.5 willy, i am thinking about getting the Abit NF7-S but i dont know if it can be done easily with my system cause i have a socket 478 cpu and the Abit NF7-S wants an A socket so i am waiting for someone to tell me if it will work or not"

Sorry, but a Pentium CPU won't work on an AMD CPU board. Look at the MB specs: ABIT nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NF7-S" -RETAIL
Supported CPU: AMD K7 Duron/Athlon/Athlon XP Processors.

Definitely do a 2500 Barton with the 512 cache for $92. at newegg and you'll have a darn good platform. Don't use cheap, generic RAM, get the good stuff, 2700 will do just fine.

No problem with the other components/devices being compatible with the new ABIT-AMB rig. Take the old Willow rig out and put the new rig in and rock on. ;)

huneycutt

HUH?

"i know that im not dumb, i need a socket A cpu"

Well, 'scuse me, that was not the jist of your previous post where you said you were waiting for someone to tell you if it would work . . . ? I attempted to interpret then answer your question as best I could. Perhaps I took your question out of context and didn't understand correctly.

Anyways, yeah, if the MB specs say SOCKET A then you should buy a SOCKET A CPU to plug in a SOCKET A Mutha'Board. . . See the specs again: Supported CPU: AMD K7 Duron/Athlon/Athlon XP Processors. It won't always say SOCKET A on the CPU advertisement but the above supporetd CPU's are all SOCKET A.

Sock-et to me, sock-et to, sock-et to me. HeHeHeHe . . . OldBird

gruvin2

Just out of curiousity what type of CPU do you have turbo accord?

Aside from that Abit, Asus both are top performers for OCing.

bldegle2

here is a sleeper

NFII Ultra-INFINITY DFI

$92, check pricewatch.

this is second generation, seems they will crank the FSB much better than the NF7-S rev 2.0 series.

here is two tibits from the 'genie' bios section.

vdimm-3.3 top end (yes, 3.3)
chipset-1.9 top end (.1 more than NF7 series)
vre-2.05 top end ( a bit of a bummer for some)
AGP-not sure, but i think the same three clicks higher.

got one ordered.

baldy

Susquehannock

The Mad Smelter
Sp1k3 said:

No Reseller Ratings on that vendor. :(

BTW ... I'd say the NF7-S isn't the best board anymore.
If you look around the forums you'll see many having trouble
with the newer ones. For one, they don't OverClock as well as
the earlier "rev 2.0" boards. :(
There's been talk that this is due in part to ABIT changing
it's component suppliers.

Last edited:

The Wrench

Registered
re

Susquehannock said:

No Reseller Ratings on that vendor. :(

BTW ... I'd say the NF7-S isn't the best board anymore.
If you look around the forums you'll see many having trouble
with the newer ones. For one, they don't OverClock as well as
the earlier "rev 2.0" boards. :(
There's been talk that this is due in part to ABIT changing
it's component suppliers.

Wait, I just ordered a nf7-s this morning.

huneycutt

Question for bldegl2.

Where are you reading about issues with the NF7-S because all I have come up with is positive info? Like to have a link(s) to read.

"NFII Ultra-INFINITY DFI" I went and looked it over and very nice, excellent user review at newegg from way back to Oct 03 and for $95.00 looks good.

Looked at the DFI "NFII Ultra-AL" for $77.00 and it also is impressive. Wondering what the big difference in the boards is because all I see is the Infinity has NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 + MCP-T and the Ultra nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 + MCP (without the -T). The Infinity sound specs are different but I care not about sound quality or sata/raid so thinking the Ultra might work fine for a typical home user like me, no heavy gaming or graphics.

Epox 8RGA+, 2500 Barton 2.23GHz on air, SLK-900A, 512MB's Crucial RAM. OldBird