• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy 120GB Deal with “8MB buffer” for 79.99 is not real

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
The Best Buy 120GB Deal with “8MB buffer” is not real you only get the rebates with the 100+20GB 2MB as shown in the picture and the price is even higher with the 8MB buffered one by $20 just giving you a heads up!
Stedeman

25620735.jpg

if you look close at the pic you will see its the 100GB+20GB one and not the 120GB with 8MB

spoken81

I hate best buy!! I tried to get this deal and ended up in a huge arguement with the guy. Best buy sucks.

PandaMoOo

Registered
DipStickTony said:
yup same here....it was a huge hassle for nothing...they do that 100gb + 20 gb so that they dont have to pricematch...so ghey

Naww... Fry's has those 100+20 drives too. I think it might have something to do with companies making 120 gig hard drives for awhile but only setting the chip BIOS to allow 100 gigs to be used and sold it for $20 less. I got a western digital 100 gig 8 meg like that. It's either or some silly marketing thing that blew over and they were only confusing customers. (I know it confuses about 30% of the customers at Fry's where I work)

OP
Stedeman

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
no they are real 120GB if you check the PN's and you can get 120GB w/8MB on some of them it all depends on the model # I will look for the list again

DipStickTony

I know the drives are the same but that 100+20 gigabyte thing is to throw off csr's when doing a pricematch. I called staples to do one a while back and the csr told me they were different even thought the serial was the same....I had to talk to 3 different csr's to finally get the pricematch. This is either something they did on their own or an unseen consequence.

wandl

actually reading from fatwallet, there are some members who have received the 8mb version..inconsistent though

JPS

Honestly (IMHO), when vendors fsckup that bad in printing, consumers should not have to bear the brunt of the mistake. If they state that the 120GB 8MB HDD are $80.00 then they should honor that and not have a copout. I am one of those who drove *WAY TOO FAR* to purchase one of these only to be told it was a pricing mistake. Hell, the damn in-store employyee I called before driving there said they were holding an 8MB version in their hand and that it was a valid deal. Yes, I am ****ed - what ever happened to accountability? You screw up - tough beans. Own up to your mistake, honor your word, and prevent it from happening again....

OP
Stedeman

Stedeman

The Half Asleep Member
I lucked out it was on the way to the theaters (saw matrix reloaded :)) but I did wait an hour well more like my wife dragged mi in some craft store next door to it till they opened up :cry:

PandaMoOo

Registered
DipStickTony said:
I know the drives are the same but that 100+20 gigabyte thing is to throw off csr's when doing a pricematch. I called staples to do one a while back and the csr told me they were different even thought the serial was the same....I had to talk to 3 different csr's to finally get the pricematch. This is either something they did on their own or an unseen consequence.

The 100+20 gig has nothing to do with pricematch avoiding schemes. It's to get good inventory of the very confusing packaging. Most stores give the hard drives different item numbers even though the packages contain the exact same thing, that way they can track inventory on the different packaging types.

deftor

I like bestbuy. Got a TDK 52X burner from them for $10 bucks during their after thanksgiving morning sale.

penetrecion

I buy a lot of stuff from Best Buy, but you have to pay attention to what you are buying... scrutinize everything!

CrazyP

regardless, 80 bucks for this drive is still a good deal. I have 2 of them, one from a couple of months ago. I like it so much I bought another last week