• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best buy AMD CPU at the moment is?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry for triple post, but I just realized that some of this bickering may be defunct if it proves true that bartons can be modded into mobiles, therefore allowing multiplier to be adjusted. I just realized too, you can buy an unlocked mobile barton from newegg for about $70 my guess.

Barton has double the cache of T-Bred B, worth maybe 100 MHz when they're compared.

There is no, 'which one is better'.

It depends on your mobo/RAM combo.

MHz speeed = [FSB] x multiplier

How high can your RAM go? Then do the math to see if maybe even a locked Barton is better for you since they overclock higher than old unlocked ones on average. They also overclock with lower voltages, therefore cooling also plays a role.

gakkuken said:
amd fans... please direct me to the new and best buy amd cpu available right now.

i left amd maret for a little bit now, and the last time i remember the 1700+ and 2100+ thoroghbred are the killer money can buy.

what's hot now?

barton 2500?

thx!!
btw, mobo wise still nforce2 right?

If you want, I would go with an athlon 64 :D if you get a barton, get some REALLY nice ram that can do high fsb, good timings, and a NB cooler.

I agree with c627627 I wouldn't waste the money on the 2600 I would just get the 2500 due to the fact unless your going to be -c cooling the cpu then you might not get the max out of your ram or board if you get a 2600.

I am of the belief anyone telling you to forget about the 2600+ idea in a locked CPU world doesn't know what he or she is blabbering on about. 2600+ is the best thing to get for the small ammount that it costs more... it will go to higher speeds on lesser FSBs which is good for not only your memory but also your chipset... this is very simple, I don't see why it has to be so dramaticized.

Fleck said:
I am of the belief anyone telling you to forget about the 2600+ idea in a locked CPU world doesn't know what he or she is blabbering on about. 2600+ is the best thing to get for the small ammount that it costs more... it will go to higher speeds on lesser FSBs which is good for not only your memory but also your chipset... this is very simple, I don't see why it has to be so dramaticized.

uh, do you mean dramatized? (sorry)

do some local research first - i highly recommend a 2500+ if you can find an unlocked one............some of your local stores that don't do online-retail might just still have one lurking in the store room so look around first.........otherwise, its whatever you can afford...........

damn, thx for the great input. this is awful a lot to read just after one day of post..hahahah

are those 1.6ghz duron any good? (other than cheap)

i am only willing to spend as LITTLE $ as possible and great oc performance on amd cpu, since i am upset w/ their new LOCKING policy on their cpu. based on overall impression, barton 2500 or 2600 and duron 1.6 are the top 3 suggestions....

thx!

I agree with LEE...definitely check out local shops, but don't get your hopes up. I called up about 4 different places and found xp 2500+'s but they were all recent (aka locked).

I even stopped in the one store but apparently they only carry intel systems. I don't even think the techies understood me when I said I needed a Barton before week 39 (?) .

lostshoe420 said:
I agree with LEE...definitely check out local shops, but don't get your hopes up. I called up about 4 different places and found xp 2500+'s but they were all recent (aka locked).

I even stopped in the one store but apparently they only carry intel systems. I don't even think the techies understood me when I said I needed a Barton before week 39 (?) .

lol... a lot of "techies" around here do the same thing. one, I asked his opinion, and he just stated what I already knew 4 times =:)rolleyes:

I too, definitely found that out today. Didn't find one yet but I still have a few hole in the wall shops to look in. Most don't know a thing about it. I just grin and continue using my spy glass.
Tomorrow!!!!!! Hawker22

Welsome to the forums Hawker22. Unless of course you were registered before and just started a new profile. First new member from '04 I have yet seen.

It's kind of hard to define "Best Buy". Is is performance per dollar, or the fastest you can go while spending the least money?

The A64 are definitely very very fast. But there are rumors that AMD might obselete that line and just go with the Socket 939 and 940. I also heard the A64 doesn't overclock that well either. You should consider these issues before buy them.

I think for the cheapest price, you should try to get the 1700/1800 Thoroughbred B with a good stepping code. I got mine off ebay for $50 (shipping and handling included). It's overclocked to 2.26Ghz. There are people who are able to overclock to 2.5Ghz.

Go to ebay and ask the selling for the stepping code. Make sure its a JI**B or NIHUB with DLT3C, not DUT3C. The L stands for lower 1.5 Vcore and you can overclock further. I believe this will be the best buy for CPU. Unless you want the 512MB level 2 Cache, then go with the Barton 2500.

Kenshiro said:
It's kind of hard to define "Best Buy". Is is performance per dollar, or the fastest you can go while spending the least money?

Go to ebay and ask the selling for the stepping code. Make sure its a JI**B or NIHUB with DLT3C, not DUT3C. The L stands for lower 1.5 Vcore and you can overclock further. I believe this will be the best buy for CPU. Unless you want the 512MB level 2 Cache, then go with the Barton 2500.

Kenshiro;

thx for the info. i am only in the amd market for "the fastest you can go while spending the least money" category.

i guess most of you are aware of the Value of amd cpu, they are great chips but they just don't hold value like intel does. (there are still more intel fans than amd) and this is the only reason for me not to spend too much on amd cpu.

i am already trying my best to look for an unlocked barton 2500, wish me luck.

Wish you luck on getting an unlock barton. You should look for 1 prior to week 38. Like I said previously, know the stepping code and look for 1 in Ebay. Good Luck.

Back