• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best CD Ripping software "Audio"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
filip04 said:
WHY don't you try this???
http://www.xingtech.com/

audio catalyst... you can rip to wav, or mp3...

i, too, have had probs with cdex, but never with audio catalyst... just make sure you have aspi installed... (wnaspi32.dll in your system32 folder)

ps
maxvla, nice avatar (HOTTIE!!!!)

The Xing encoder is one of the worst encoders for mp3 use. In my opinion it doesn't matter what you use to "rip" your music, but if you are going to encode, PLEASE use LAME it is by far one of the best mp3 encoders (excluding the 3.93 and newer versions). Also, its always best to rip to your harddrive instead of "on the fly". On the fly mode can cause all kinds of audio problems.

Gnerma said:

ASPI is probably the problem with Exact Audio Copy (Maxvla) and Cdex (jacheatamobits).

Agreed :)

If you are having a problem with CDex or EAC, 99% of the time you need to have or make sure your ASPI is installed.

EAC will rip from cda to wav then use a stand alone copy of LAME to encode mp3 very cleanly. I use the highest quality varible bit rate options to get the best compression and best audio quality. I can get over 5 hours of very near CD quality on one CD-R/W disk.

all's good with EXACT AUDIO COPY

i just don't know how to compile LAME...
edit:
woot, found a precompiled version :D

Last edited:
I downloaded EAC and LAME as separate apps. I dropped LAME first then RAZOR/LAME in the same folder for wav to mp3 conversions.

Secondly, I dropped EAC in its folder and pointed it at LAME for mp3 encoding durring setup.

Nothing to install as they both work without all the registry key complications many other apps insist on.

Audioaficionado said:
I downloaded EAC and LAME as separate apps. I dropped LAME first then RAZOR/LAME in the same folder for wav to mp3 conversions.

Secondly, I dropped EAC in its folder and pointed it at LAME for mp3 encoding durring setup.

Nothing to install as they both work without all the registry key complications many other apps insist on.

I like to use EAC to rip and RazorLame to encode. By the way guys, if using lame make sure you stay away from the newer version (3.93 and up) for they have some bugs. 3.90.2 and 3.92 are the versions to use, 3.90.2 is probably the better one due to the fact that it has been tested more than the later versions.

Originally posted by cornbread I like to use EAC to rip and RazorLame to encode. By the way guys, if using lame make sure you stay away from the newer version (3.93 and up) for they have some bugs. 3.90.2 and 3.92 are the versions to use, 3.90.2 is probably the better one due to the fact that it has been tested more than the later versions.

What bugs are in LAME 3.93?

I've got 3.92 and it sounds great on my system.

Audioaficionado said:

What bugs are in LAME 3.93?

I've got 3.92 and it sounds great on my system.

HERE is a great site with all kinds of info on various music formats, including LAME.

HERE is some more info from the same site. These guys know their stuff about the various form of music encoding and such.

Enjoy the reading :)

Thanx for the info links.

Looks like there's little difference between the tweaked 3.90.2 and 3.92. I got 'em both now in separate folders. I'll wait for 3.94 now and really have some fun. :D

I think that's cuz their default setting is to encode it to 192kb. Youhave to change it to 128kb for the smaller filesize, but hey I use both programs!

I didn't use defaults for either one. I set both for the maximum possible quality using VAR bit rates between 32 & 320. The EAC/LAME is just better at compressing the files at the expense of taking longer. Either app will work fine.

filip04 said:
you can change quality with lame??? :O

If you use LAME by itself, you'll have to use DOS command lines with lots of /switches. It's much easier to use LAME with a front end app like EAC or RAZORLAME for the nice GUI controls. I can encode a lowly 8bits to the max 320bits. I like var bit rate encoding because the file size won't inflate during the quiet periods of the music needlessly encoding low level signals at 320bits.

Back