• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best cooler for geforce 3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elBogg

can anyone tell me a really good cooler for the gpu on a gf3? i have the gainward ti200 golden sample, and neither the stock heatsink/fan combo nor a blue orb can cut it. haha, no, i'm not considering watercooling (yet) . . . seriously, though, if anyone has any bright ideas, they would be welcome . . . btw, mods, if this should go in the vid cards section, you have my apologies . . . i wasn't sure which one was more appropriate . . .

actually what i did was i took a cheapo duron/t-bird HSF, lapped the bottom and used arctic alumina epoxy to get the stuff on. that was it. the HSF is one of those small ones that are only suitable for like duron 850's or less or low speed t-birds. oh, i also removed the clip.

it does take 2 PCI slots...but i was bored and i dont use them anyways. the way i figure it, the more stuff you have in your system the more things that can hinder you OC. hope i helped.

oh yeah...you could also use an 1U cooler. a low profile heatsink. i think those would be better but they cost more. they probably only take up 1 PCI slo, if any.

JoeCrappa said:
oh yeah...you could also use an 1U cooler. a low profile heatsink. i think those would be better but they cost more. they probably only take up 1 PCI slo, if any.

I have one of these on the way to the house now. I did manage to get the Gainward to run 260/590 stable with the stock cooling.

elBogg said:
ummmm, what's a 1u cooler, and where would i get one? online? compusa? radio shack?

An IU cooler is a low profile cooler for a rackmount CPU

This is about the best IU cooler made and its $18.00Here (excellent vendor)

jag2.jpg

Aside from Watercooling your GPU the IU cooler is the 2nd best way to go.

You will need some arctic Silver adhesive or arctic alumina adhesive to affix it.

:)

Last edited:
elBogg said:
ummmm, what's a 1u cooler, and where would i get one? online? compusa? radio shack?

sounds like you're a person that doesn't like to buy online...or you can't wait.... i dont kno of any local places...sorry

And I know of no local places either. Here some really good things about it so am looking forward to its arrival. Planning on drilling and tapping mine to attach it.

oh, no, don't get me wrong, i looooooooooooooove newegg, that place is great, it's just that i've never heard the term 1u cooler before, so i didn't know if it was actually a computer term or some weird o/c's concoction made out of various rat shack parts, hehehe . . . :p
silversinksam, thanks for the link, i'll check that out . . .

Thats funny my brother Silver recommended the exact same IU cooler that I did at exactly the same time that i did. :eek:

He even found it for a dollar less than I did.... But, Newegg charges $6 shipping and 1CoolPc charges $3.90 for shipping, and they take Paypal :)

hehe, but if i go to newegg then i have an excuse to get that ak35gtr and another 60 gb hd . . . ah, the humanity . . .

ps you were kidding about him being your brother, right? like being brothers in silver . . .

well thanks a lot, and heigh, ho, silvers, awaaaaaaaaaaaaaay . . .

elBogg said:
hehe, but if i go to newegg then i have an excuse to get that ak35gtr and another 60 gb hd . . . ah, the humanity . . .

ps you were kidding about him being your brother, right? like being brothers in silver . . .

well thanks a lot, and heigh, ho, silvers, awaaaaaaaaaaaaaay . . .

Ever heard of the Hunt Brothers?:D

Silversinksam said:
Thats funny my brother Silver recommended the exact same IU cooler that I did at exactly the same time that i did. :eek:

He even found it for a dollar less than I did.... But, Newegg charges $6 shipping and 1CoolPc charges $3.90 for shipping, and they take Paypal :)

Great Minds? Blame it on our parents.:D

I really think the Alpha 15IU is good, copper base, samething low profile cooler for rackmounts..

It's cheap .. very good. It would be my pick..

Yodums

Yodums said:
I really think the Alpha 15IU is good, copper base, samething low profile cooler for rackmounts..

It's cheap .. very good. It would be my pick..

Yodums

Now Yodums you know I would never disagree with you.:D

i'de go w/ a ninja throwing star for the base, and artic silver a bullfrog to the damn thing, you ever feel the water those frogs sit in? ...damn right chilly :D

well, thanks for all your help, guys, i went ahead and ordered the cooljag one from 1coolpc, hopefully it'll fix my probs . . .

Back