• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best CPU for Asus A7N8X rev 1.06?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

alexb75

Registered
I am in the market to buy a new CPU and I am debating between a Barton 2500+ and a T-bred 2600+. Benchmark results for both CPUs are very close, and prices are also the same. I have an nForce2 board (Asus A7N8x) and I am using a Vantec Aeroflow cooler.

I'd like to be able to change the multiplier and run the FSB at 185 or less (mobo limiation). I am also aiming at running a silent system, so need a CPU which can be cooled easily by using low flow fans. I've heard Barton with bigger die is easier to cool, and if I get the clock speed 2.0GHz or more, I beleive with 512 cache I can be at 2800+ or 3000+ levels.

So, please help a newbie choose the best CPU runs best on my mobo, with silent OCing in mind?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

The vantec aeroflow is right in line with the volcano 7+ which I used before I went to water cooling. It should be enough to get you to at least 2.2ghz depending on the fan you use on it.

Currently you can get a xp1700 cheap and will overclock very well, and get you near your goal. The bartons do have the extra cache but don't seem to be oc'ing as well as the tbred's. Best bang for the buck would be the xp1700-b core as I've had mine up to 2.4ghz.

What fan are you currently running and what are your temps?

Jim

I have the fan that comes with the Vantec (YSTech 5800 RPM), I think it's rated at 38 CFM.

My case has to be replaced and currently I don't run any case fans, but with this setup I am at 46 degree with my Palomino XP1600+.

I also could not find any 1700+ locally which is how I have to purchase. I could only find 1800+ OEM, and 1900+ retail which are like 25-30$ cheaper than Barton.

Actually it all depends on what you want to spend, if you could take some time shopping around for a good stepping on a cheaper cpu, otherwise go for the higher ones. Normally local stores are quite a bit higher in price than what you can get online, but that doesn't seem to be an option for you.

Jim

Back