• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Cpu to overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cazer02

Registered
what is the best cpu to overclock with cheap price but best in gaming can anyone help me please!

Mr.Scott

Beamed Me Up!
Way too subjective to opinion. Need to narrow it down a little.
What do you consider cheap?
What Platform?
Do you already have a board?
What vid card?

OP
C

cazer02

Registered
Processor = i3 530 LGA 1156 2.93 GHz
Motherboard = ECS H55H-M
Ram= 4Gb 1333
Power Supply = Orion 650watts
GPU = GTX650 1gb DDR5 128bit
HDD = 500gb

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Are you trying to upgrade your system? What is your budget for the upgrade?

From the looks of your current system, not much can be carried over...

[email protected]

You can get a Core i5 6600K as mentioned by wingman99, also if you plan on upgrading you should upgrade your GPU too (Also Mobo and RAM).

Edit :
Here is a list of things i think you should get, It doesnt include what you already have and doesnt include a GPU cause soon we will see new budget GPUs..
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/BpjThM

JCE3000GT

My suggestion is based on what I just purchased (partpicker didn't have my RAM). Both with and without a new GPU. I paid $360 out the door and there is a $10 mail in rebate for the motherboard too! I haven't met a game yet with my new setup that didn't run brilliantly. I'm even getting a decent fps in the Star Citizen alpha...which apparently is hard to do.

With GTX 960 S-SC 4GB GDDR5:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6dtPxY

Without GPU:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gdWwWZ

[email protected]

My suggestion is based on what I just purchased (partpicker didn't have my RAM). Both with and without a new GPU. I paid $360 out the door and there is a $10 mail in rebate for the motherboard too! I haven't met a game yet with my new setup that didn't run brilliantly. I'm even getting a decent fps in the Star Citizen alpha...which apparently is hard to do.

With GTX 960 S-SC 4GB GDDR5:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6dtPxY

Without GPU:
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gdWwWZ

Eyy have the same mobo :p
but its not an unlocked CPU...

wingman99

I would not take a risk on finding the bios that will overclock some boards, much better to get a unlocked CPU.

[email protected]

I would not take a risk on finding the bios that will overclock some boards, much better to get a unlocked CPU.

Plus i read that when overclocking these non-k CPUs it wont show the CPU temps.
And finding the overclocking bios is pretty easy, Just roll back to version 1 or 2 of the bios and thats it :p

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
It is absolutely no riskier than updating your bios... :thup:

Plus i read that when overclocking these non-k CPUs it wont show the CPU temps.
And finding the overclocking bios is pretty easy, Just roll back to version 1 or 2 of the bios and thats it :p
Im not sure you can flash back to those versions after you put the 'new' one on? Not sure.

[email protected]

It is absolutely no riskier than updating your bios... :thup:

Im not sure you can flash back to those versions after you put the 'new' one on? Not sure.

I can try that ;)

Edit :
Success!
You can officially roll back the bios on MSI Z170A PCMATE.

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Did you test it properly? Meaning, there was a 'fix' bios that stopped that kind of overclocking which, I thought, didn't allow you to roll back and overclock. What version were you on and what did you roll back to?

I think the non OC bios changes the microcode level in the CPU... but the BIOS where you could overclock doesn't change it back.

I could be way off though, LOL!

[email protected]

Did you test it properly? Meaning, there was a 'fix' bios that stopped that kind of overclocking which, I thought, didn't allow you to roll back and overclock. What version were you on and what did you roll back to?

I think the non OC bios changes the microcode level in the CPU... but the BIOS where you could overclock doesn't change it back.

I could be way off though, LOL!

I have unlocked CPU so i cant really test it...
I was in version A90 and rolled back to version A30 (oldest that i could download, from 07/15)

cdawall

Rolling back didn't work on the z170-deluxe I tried it with. Caused the bios to be unstable until I went back to 1801. I have a z170-pcmate as well with a lock i5, but haven't played with it yet. BIOS has never been updated however.

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
I don't know from experience but I believe the Asrock boards have the ability to choose micorcode version but I think they're the only ones with that option.

JCE3000GT

Rolling back didn't work on the z170-deluxe I tried it with. Caused the bios to be unstable until I went back to 1801. I have a z170-pcmate as well with a lock i5, but haven't played with it yet. BIOS has never been updated however.

Do you have the time to test it? I'm curious if it will work since we have the same mobo and i5 locked processor. And I'm hoping I can roll back the BIOS with no issues. :) Either way though I'm happy with the stock performance thus far.