• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best CPU/Video/Memory combo for OC today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Airness23

Registered
What would you recommend for the best (results) in overclocking, as far as CPU/Motherboard/VideoCard/Memory combination AS OF TODAY. Considering OC is to be done all on AIR, so a better cpu fan will be bought for better cooling and a good case? CPU hopefully is to be less than 500$. Would you think an AMD 3800+ or a p4 3.6GHz be good options or would I actually be able to overclock and achieve same or better performance with slower chips? Also Im guessing NVidia 6800 ultra would be the best video card today?

As of now I have [email protected] with 9800pro radeon, equaling in 21k in 3DMark2001. What would my new score be with the "new" system approximately (is 30k reachable, again air, or 25k?)? Thanks in advance.

You have a good system. Don't think you'll ever get 30k with a 9800 Pro no matter what you upgrade to. The 3.0C will often do 3.75 gig (250 FSB). You could use your RAM at 1:1 or DDR500 that way.

Thanks for reply, but I was thinking of selling this system and maybe buying a new system with additional cash to it. Therefore I would supposedly have new videocard (6800 ultra?) and cpu and ram and mobo.

Here's what you do.

1. Keep your CPU. It's a good one.
2. When OCZ finally releases their DDR600, buy a gig of it
3. Get the 6800GT 6800 Ultra or X800 XT

If you can run close to a 300 fsb with a 1:1 ratio, your system would smoke a 3.0C at 3.75GHz.

I hung on to one of my SL6Z3's just for this purpose. It also does 3.5GHz.

But Im afraid the motherboard wont let me run 1:1 at 295FSB even if ram is capable of it, ABIT-IC7 mobo that is. Kinda risky investing in new memory when I heard the mobo is better at 5:4 than at 1:1 and therefore might not be able to run it at 1:1...

Back