• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best deal at $100-$150?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

ive been out of the loop for a pretty long time when it comes to computer hardware. ive been meaning to get back into gaming but i think im gonna need a graphics card upgrade. whats the best gfx card to get in the $100-$150 range? and do you guys think that my other specs woud be bottlenecking my new gfx card?

deed

I think everything will be a bottleneck. The cpu is 'ok' but overall You could pick up ddr2 or 3 ram and a new mobo to match the ram. I am thinking a 4870 or 4890 for the budget. On newegg they have gone on sale in that price range very often.

ArchEnemy

Registered
Well the 5750 just seems to fit in your budget, but the cpu is going the bottleneck of the system...

If I were you I would just grab a 4870 of ebay which are better then the 5750 and ship for less.

vixro

A video card will help but the rest of your system is so outdated that it's not going to be hugely significant. If you really want to game again you are probably looking at a budget upgrade to a socket 775 system and a cheap quad or good dual core with ddr2.

You could pick up a mobo for <100, 4GB of ram for $50 and a cpu for $100-$150 (and oc). Video card for $140 you could pick up a 4870 or 4890 on sale for the best bang for your buck.

Keeping your HD, case, and all other accessories I'd say you could build a more than capable system for < $500.

xtkxhom3r

pretty much you should consider overhauling your pc... lol

and what psu do you have? it might not be enough to power a 4870/90...

and where are you getting 4gb of ram for 50 bucks vixro??? those days are over lol 4gb of ram now days is 80+ :(

ghost_recon88

Senior Jedi Master
If your CPU/mobo/PSU were all up to snuff right now, the best video card for $100-150 would be a HD 4870 1GB.

vixro

pretty much you should consider overhauling your pc... lol

and what psu do you have? it might not be enough to power a 4870/90...

and where are you getting 4gb of ram for 50 bucks vixro??? those days are over lol 4gb of ram now days is 80+ :(

Gskill new is still $50 when on sale.

I would sell my 4GB of gskill ddr2 1000 for like $25 lol. It's worthless even though it works great and overclocks well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145

I've seen this on newegg for < $60 plenty of times.

buttons

take that $150 you have, craigslist your current system. you might get $150 for it. Buy newegg combo amd regor 240, 2gb gskill, raidmax case, 450w psu, gigabyte 785gm board for $195. it comes with onboard ati 4200 which might get you buy for a little bit, plays WoW smooth, plays counter strike source great. Not sure if the deal still exists but newegg.com had a 9800gt EE that is the energy efficient version -- requires no external power and the crappy raidmax 450w psu can handle it without a problem.

I overclocked mine to 3.6ghz, bumped my pny 9800gt ee to 615gpu/1501shader/1000memory and scored 12,550 on 3dmark06. played call of duty modern warfare 2 with graphics all set to max. 1920x1080 with AA turned off completely smooth. Overall a pretty good system for $285 shipped. oh ya, i reused an 80gb ide hard drive so budget for that.

Your cpu will bottleneck any gpu faster then a geforce 7800gtx probably.

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
Gskill new is still $50 when on sale.

I would sell my 4GB of gskill ddr2 1000 for like $25 lol. It's worthless even though it works great and overclocks well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145

I've seen this on newegg for < $60 plenty of times.

Yeah 'seen' meaning past tense ;) While it's always possible RAM prices might crash again it seems unlikely they'll go as low again (not counting that in years 2x the RAM will be cheaper.) There was a perfect storm of conditions that made RAM prices go so low and it doesn't look like those conditions will come together again.

vixro

Yeah 'seen' meaning past tense ;) While it's always possible RAM prices might crash again it seems unlikely they'll go as low again (not counting that in years 2x the RAM will be cheaper.) There was a perfect storm of conditions that made RAM prices go so low and it doesn't look like those conditions will come together again.

You could pick up DDR2 for $50 on 4GB so easily. 75 wasn't unreasonable for low latency.

Now it's back up to stupid rates again. I sold my ram for $25 after making my post. :shrug:

xtkxhom3r

i miss the 20-25 for a 2gb stick at newegg :(

MadMan007

Magical Leopluridon Senior
Heck I got 2x2GB of Corsair CAS5 DDR2-800 for like $25 after MIR. They are purring away happily in my WHS box. But yeah I hardly think we'll see such cheap prices again not counting the 'ten years ago I bought 4GB for $50 and now I can get 256GB for $75.' The thing that's not likely to happen again is an excessive supply because of a Windows launch demand (Vista) that fails to materialize, that along with a severe economic downturn is what caused such low prices.

Neuromancer

What size monitor are you running? 1680x1050 at least? If so grab a 5770 now and upgrade the CPU/Board/RAM when you can at a later date.

You should not be CPU bottlenecked at that resolution especially with AA/AF enabled, however upgrading the core of the system will improve game play and framerates just because the core system is very important for running any application.

Still I think the GFX update alone will make it feel like a whole new system while gaming :) (Except maybe pure CPU driven games like GTAIV, Crysis and WIC)

I am running an AMD 920 quad with speed step (desktop usage is 900 MHz, Civ 4 full screen on one monitor and full screen SD Video on a second with a 2400XT, 2 cores bump up to 1800 MHz. YAh its an older game.

I will try and get some screencaps of CPU usage with the 4890 at a couple differnt resolutions in NFS Shift and Civ4 at some point.