• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best fan for CPU cooling....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wannaoc

I am looking for the best air flow fan that I can get for an air cooled CPU but I also want it to be fairly quiet. Now I know that o/c setups can't be too quiet but I can try for the best air flow for the sound can't I? :)

bilydkid1970

SiliconX

AcEmAsTr said:
Thermaltake Smart Fan 2, 4800rpm - 75CFM - 48dbs
comes with a rheostat so it can be changed to lower spec,

48dbs omg. I had a couple 44db ADDA fans for all of 10 seconds. They sound like jet turbines.

I've always liked the Panaflos myself. The high speeds are quiet, and put out respectable cfm's.

Unfortunately there is no fan that runs ultra-quiet and puts out a cyclone. If there was, we'd all have em :D

Thermalright SK-900U with a high speed 92mm Panaflo. 35db and 56.8cfm. It ain't gonna freeze out your cpu, but I think that's a pretty good cfm vs. db level ratio. Of course you could get the same SK-900U with a 92mmx38mm Vantec Tornado. 119cfm at an eardrum-shattering 56.4db

Last edited:

bilydkid1970

38dba for an office? your kidding me??? thats loud as hell (reletivly)

That's based on the OSHA guidelines for MAX acceptable noise level from a PC in an office environment.

I never said it was quiet.

-BdK:burn::burn::burn:

bilydkid1970

when the cumulative effects of all those PCs adds up to over 90dBA of continuous exposure over 8 hours, hearing protection is mandatory.

an average quiet living room has a background sound level of 30dBA.

while i wouldn't consider 38dBA quiet, I also wouldn't consider it to be loud either. You shouldn't be able to hear it in the next room - unlike my old TTV7+ or my old Delta Screamer. I'd personally prefer ratings closer to 30ish, but 38dBA is tolerable when you compare it against a TTV7+ or a Delta Screamer.

PEACE!
BdK:burn::burn::burn:

Last edited:

PhobMX

hmmm i thought the 92mm tornado had the best ratio if you downgrade its speed... im also after a good 92mm fan... all i need is the best noise/cfm ratio AND rpm monitoring, any suggestions???

i once read about a site that compares all kinds of fans, anybody knows it?

bilydkid1970

The link at silentPCreview deals with undervolted fan dBA ratings.

as far as that tornado, I personally NEVER want to hear the noise a tornado makes at the high end. since I'll never use the high end, I see no logic in having one of THOSE on a rheostat.

Now, if you pick a fan that has a high end noise rating to match your high end noise tolerance, that makes sense to me. If you want to put one of THOSE on a rheo so as to have a fan that CAN'T go louder than you desire, but WILL go as quiet as you want, that makes sense to this moron.

I'm making a conscious effort to stop myself before this turns into a rant.

-BdK:burn::burn::burn: