• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best folding (p35?) mobo for all these new C2Q's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes, of course. Let me rephrase. How significant is the 200 MB/sec difference?

Is the difference worth the extra cost of the P5B and the extra electricity it uses?

Yes, of course. Let me rephrase. How significant is the 200 MB/sec difference?

Is the difference worth the extra cost of the P5B and the extra electricity it uses?

I would say less than 100ppd on a quad @ 3+ghz. probably more like 50ppd imho.

of course, mine is just a educational guesstimate.

On some WUs there will be little to no difference. On others, over 100 ppd. Keep in mind my comparisson was between the P5B and the DS3R. The P5K has 400 MB/sec ram bandwidth advantage over the DS3R using DDR2 ram.

I am another one keeping a close eye on this thread, I would prefer to get another p5b, because I am already familiar with them. So it looks like I can make a decision as soon as I have the money.

Chasr is that the cheap G skill your using? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231087

Is it there even a point to me getting 2GB? Guess i can save the 2nd stick to upgrade one of my other rigs when I replace the Asrocks. Hope to have all quads at some point.

Last edited:
Corsair XMS PC6400 4-4-4-12. THe egg had a $40 rebate on it and I bought 3 sets only to read in the fine print the rebate was only one per customer. But, it works great, good for at least 950 MHz.

One more thing about the DS3R, it will take DDR3 Memory and run it at very high speed. So, if you're willing to spend the money on fast DDR3 ram, the DS3R will outperform the P5K, and trounce the P5B. You'd have to get a P5KC to stay in the same price range and use DDR3.

I would think single channel ram on a quad would be crippling.

Have there been any more recent thoughts on this subject?

I want a good motherboard for a new main rig.

I am also looking and was wondering about the G33 and the Q35 motherboards with integrated video. Is there a big hit on overclocking and/or frame times?

Back