• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best free downloadable Linux?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funnyperson1

i want to download Linux...which is the best im talking easy to setup up and is most compatible with the setup in sig

Check out www.linuxiso.org for linux downloads. If you are new to linux I strongly suggest you buy a boxed set - CDs, manuals and tech. Support.
As for hardware compatibility, you should be fine. Check out www.nvidia.com for linux drivers for the GeForce 2 and details on how to install them.

i found a copy of Corel Linux for Download..is this good and will it work with my system, and about the buying part...im too cheap:D ...id much rather struggle and install it myself...

funnyperson1 said:
i found a copy of Corel Linux for Download..is this good and will it work with my system, and about the buying part...im too cheap:D ...id much rather struggle and install it myself...

Corel is based on Debian I think - I have never seen its install program. Try it and see - look at it and make sure it includes:
1) kernel 2.4.something
2) XFree 4.0.1 or greater.

You probably don't want to use Corel. I do not know if they have updated their distro in the past year, since they dropped it due to funding problems and lack of popularity. Most people seem to like Mandrake or Redhat, I would go with one of those, then graduate to debian.

i read your little intro to linux guide and am now dling Mandrake...my dad had an earlier copy but i didnt want to go through the trouble of updating kernels and such...yet:cool:

mcrites said:
You probably don't want to use Corel. I do not know if they have updated their distro in the past year, since they dropped it due to funding problems and lack of popularity. Most people seem to like Mandrake or Redhat, I would go with one of those, then graduate to debian.

Corel are trying a new licence or something I think.

update: i installed it and everything and my floppy dirve doesnt work and all i could see was:
1010101010101001 101010100101
1101...you get the idea? i had to reformat and reinstall Windows XP.....ill wait till i get a new hdd and put it as secondary master (the one i installed on this time was slave) and then install Linux....pretty easy setup though and lots of free stuff. ...me like:p

Remember, everytime you install a new kernel, make sure you copy over the new System.map to /boot, and rerun lilo with /sbin/lilo so that it can see the new kernel. I have only had that problem when I forgot to run lilo, but I am not sure of the technical reason.

Well chances are you've got an intel based cpu, so download the i386 or i586 version. Most likely a 586 class cpu, so go i586.

I think there are 2 or 3 isos to download. You'll need them all.

funnyperson1 said:
update: i installed it and everything and my floppy dirve doesnt work and all i could see was:
1101...you get the idea? i had to reformat and reinstall Windows XP.....ill wait till i get a new hdd and put it as secondary master (the one i installed on this time was slave) and then install Linux....pretty easy setup though and lots of free stuff. ...me like:p

Looks like LILO didn't work. But yes, a second HD may be the best idea.

funnyperson1 said:
i want to download Linux...which is the best im talking easy to setup up and is most compatible with the setup in sig
I would strongly recommend Mandrake distro, since it has the easiest setup and is user-friendly ( not like RedHat which almost suck me friend into the screen :) ). Also it should work on practicaly any PC.

i must say i was quite surprised when i saw my Compaq V75 listed on the monitor setup....Compaq doesnt even seem to care they exist....

oh yeah...wierd thiung happened...i had reformatted C then installed XP and was installing the Iwill software when it booted up it had a weird Iwill Lilo program instead of WinXP....too bad the drive had already been formatted :(

portorock said:
fro some reason, I can' get back to the linuxiso page to see if they had any directions. I tried on my laptop also, but no luck

iso s are cd image files, you will have to have a cd burner to use it...if you have nero go to file: burn cd image and then browse for the iso.....adn then sway write like you normally do :)

funnyperson1 said:

I had this same problem when installing mandrake. I had installed linux on hdd1 (secondary slave) I had quite a time restoring my windows with a boot disk and fdisk. I had to start the linux installer and when it got to partitioning I reset everything on hdd1 (dont touch hda1) back to win files. After partitioning I rebooted w/ win98 boot disk. Then fdisk worked to remove partition made during linux install. I got a warning stating master boot record change, continue? Selected y and then ran win 98 installer and that also asked for a master boot change. Selected y and after install finished that restored windows and all files. No reformat.

Q. was the boot record change due to a faulty lilo install?

Q. If so is there a way to reinstall lilo to avoid this hassle?

Sorry about the length but I think this might help some other ppl in this spot.

Back