• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best GPU OC tool?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ssjwizard

Has slightly less legible writing than Thideras
So Ive been out of the OC game for a little while having found my ideal clocks for 24/7 on this machine and having other things on my plate. However, I'm doing a bit of benching right now. I know EVGA Precision, and MSI AB used to be the best two tools around. So at this point with a bios modded 670GTX FTW which is going to be the better tool?

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
I like both that you mentioned, just see if you get more voltage from one

OP
ssjwizard

ssjwizard

For some reason MSI AB is limiting me to +100mv even with unofficial OC mode enabled. Not sure if Im doing something wrong, may need to DL EVGA

OP
ssjwizard

ssjwizard

Humm precision lets me push about 5Mhz more on the GPU before the app crashes, but still limited to 1.212V. I really want to figure out how to push around 1.3V on this card.......

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
For some reason MSI AB is limiting me to +100mv even with unofficial OC mode enabled. Not sure if Im doing something wrong, may need to DL EVGA

If my memory serves the extra voltage that is available through that mode only works with specific MSI branded gpu's

Mandrake4565

Mr. Clean Senior Member
You can try the rbby tool in association with Msi afterburner SSJ it may work with the GTX 670. I use it with my GTX 780 and it works well. See here

Zuhl3156

Registered
I opted to go with a modded BIOS which worked well for me but is a step that many are reluctant to take for obvious reasons like voiding your warranty.

OP
ssjwizard

ssjwizard

Thanks mandrake Ill look into that.
Zuh I agree this card already has a modified bios, but Im trying to push it extra hard for a benching competition.

Well from a bit of research around the net it looks like I may be out of luck. Without HW mods it seems like beyond 1.21V may not be possible with my card....

Last edited:

Zuhl3156

Registered
I am already at 1.275 v with 0 boost on my voltage slider. I haven't tried pushing it further. I can potentially push it another +100 so I'll see what I can get out of it later today after I am finished this Work Unit I am Folding just out of curiosity for you. MY clocks are stable at 1600 MHz so I am happy. I may or may not be able to reach 1.3v depending on how the BIOS was modded for me. I didn't mod it myself.

Zuhl3156

Registered
Sorry, no dice. I increased voltage +100 but it was pegged at 1.275v. I have seen others at 1.3v in their GTX-980 boards so maybe it is locked as the max in my BIOS or it is somehow hardware locked.

equlizer34

Sounds like you are voltage locked. And no a modded bios wont help either :( My 980 ti strix is like that too.

Zuhl3156

Registered
I was just alerted to an issue with both PrecisionX and Afterburner only being able to read voltages up to 1.275 volts but someone using a voltmeter found actual voltages reaching 1.3 volts. I will have to check this out myself with my DVOM and see what I get with it. IDK if you can mod the config file in Afterburner to correct this or not. Only Unwinder would be able to answer that.

Vellinious

Depending on who's bios you're using, it's likely you may not be able to adjust the voltage slider at all. It may say +100mv, but depending on how the bios file is setup in the voltage table, will depend on if the slider actually does anything.

GPUz will only read up to 1.275v as well on the Maxwell GPUs.

If your voltage table looks something like this, then the voltage slider will work:

2nGQH4c.jpg

If, however, it looks like this, then the voltage slider won't do anything:

3qIA4JV.jpg

Zuhl3156

Registered
I'm not sure where to poke and prod for my actual voltage or if it is even safe to do so with such a cheap VOM since I already burnt a trace inside a motherboard like that. Right now my GPU are covered front and back with EK blocks and backplates making access extremely limited. My voltage slider in Afterburner is centered for some reason but any attempt to undervolt it is met with a reset back to Zero.

Vellinious

I'm not sure where to poke and prod for my actual voltage or if it is even safe to do so with such a cheap VOM since I already burnt a trace inside a motherboard like that. Right now my GPU are covered front and back with EK blocks and backplates making access extremely limited. My voltage slider in Afterburner is centered for some reason but any attempt to undervolt it is met with a reset back to Zero.

It may be that your bios file is setup like the bottom one that I linked. Drop a copy of your bios here, or on google drive and link it.... You can get a copy of the bios your card is running by pushing the little arrow button beneath the NVIDIA emblem in GPUz on the main page.

Vellinious

Fixable by modding my original BIOS or am I hardware locked by a component in my video board's circuitry?

The bios file is setup in such a way to not allow the voltage slider to do anything. I'll edit it tonight to add functionality back into the voltage slider. It'll be a few hours though, I'm still at work atm.