• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best implementation of game modes in fpss

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

The FPS genre has been around for quite some time now, yet many of the gametypes are common to multiple games. I was wondering what games you thought had the best implementation of some of these common gametypes. Console or PC doesnt matter.

Deathmatch
Team Deathmatch
Capture the Flag (pickup the flag carry it to the goal)
Assault (take turns attacking/defending something)
Territories (capture and hold areas, to accumlate points or make the enemy lose points)
Search and Destroy (no respawning, usually semi objective based)

For me
DM: UT2k4
TDM: UT2k4
CTF: HALO:CE PC
Assault: not sure
Territories: Battlefield 1942 Desert Combat
Search and Destroy: Counterstrike
Natural Selection is the best at...something...but I did not know how to classify it.

Last edited:

Sydney

DM: Call of Duty 1 / Call of Duty 2
TDM: Quake 3
CTF: BF1942
Assault: Shattered Horizon
Territories: BF1942
S&D: CoD1/2

Last edited:

Leviathan41

TF2 wins.
I agree with that! It wins every category, however, here is my non-TF2 list. :D

DM/TDM: Call of Duty, Call of Duty 4 (However, I never really play much TDM, I prefer the more structured, objective-based game modes)
CTF: Battlefield 1942 (I loved El Alamein CTF, trying to pick up my friends who were carrying the flag with a plane, hours of fun!)
Assault: Day of Defeat (It had some really interesting attack/defense maps, very asymmetrical but still balanced well, lots of fun)
Territories: Battlefield Series (specifically BF42 and BF2)

Marshmallow64

I love payload on TF2, I just wish they had more maps....only 3 right now. It is pretty much the only thing I play. The mode basically gives both teams an equal chance and there is a time limit. I hate maps where it turns out to be like a stalemate.

deed

Call of duty united offensive wins on everything for me... I remember going 50-0 at times and now on the newer games im not as good nor is it as fun.

Firey_chasm

DM: Half life 1
TDM: Quake 3
CTF: I never play CTF :/ - apart from wsg on wow lol :p
Assault: Unreal tournament 99 :D loved that game mode
Territories: another game mode I dont play
Search and Destroy: Cod4 (much better than the cod6 version, for me it was a flip of the coin between cod4 and counterstike, cod got it because of the rank system for me :) )

OP
TheGreySpectre

TheGreySpectre

I could never get into TF2, not having a normal assault rifle-ish gun bothers me.

For those of you saying COD for things, I am curious, normal mode or hardcore mode because I think the two play very differently even though they are technicly the same game. Personally I like hardcore and dislike normal.

noxqzs

I would say that Rainbow6 series was the single greatest franshise I have ever enjoyed for a fps tactics game. There hasn't been a series that has given me more bang for the buck. I get all sentimental just thinking about it. That is one series I would have have given family members away for, just so they kept it off of consoles.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I could never get into TF2, not having a normal assault rifle-ish gun bothers me.

For those of you saying COD for things, I am curious, normal mode or hardcore mode because I think the two play very differently even though they are technicly the same game. Personally I like hardcore and dislike normal.
Big fan of hardcore...

The normal action is too slow for me. I am a mindless run and gun player. I would rule COD4 if I was a camper like other people. :thup:

AFG34

DM: Quake series (while i never played it, CPMA is fun to watch, takes a lot of time to learn which i don have atm)
CTF: UT hands down no contest, once you play with translocator you can't go back (its like playing fps with mouse/kb; it should be standard!)

also, cod4 hc is jokes..=p