• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best LGA775 Board - Asus or Abit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
So it comes down to the Asus P5WD2 and Abit's AW8-Max.

I do not need the Asus board to free up my bus ratio option since I will have an ES processor. I am going for complete stability at very high speeds. I know the Asus is very good, but did Abit finally catch up? I am thinking about getting the Asus since everyone else has it, but I did love my IC7-Max3.

I'll be running a P4 660 ES hopefully at 300x14 on air. That's my goal atleast, I probably won't make it by a few Mhz though.

Thanks. :)

Rocinante

You won't go wrong with either board...they can both run very high bus speed with complete stability...I just prefer Abit over Asus (personal luck) and the Award bios is more to my liking...

I'm not sure you'll get 300fsb on air, but you won't know until you try... :cool:

Ach3r0n

Check out the respective manufacturers' forums regarding both of these boards. There are some serious issues with both you might want to be aware of. :( I'm looking at the same 2 btw.

OP
Foxie3a

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Can u link me to some threads so I can know where to start?

What kind of problems?

I was about to go ahead and look into buying the P5WD2.

pscout

Senior Newbie Cannon-Fodder - R. I. P. good budd
I had the memory controller problem (your second link) in my p5wd2-p as well ... could only run 1 stick in any slot. Swapped it through the retailer and everything fine now.

I never had any of the boot problems (yet) ... i am just running a single sata and cdrw atm .... i disabled everthing in bios i was not using first.

I am planning on playing with raid 5 soon so I will get to see how that goes!

/edit ... I also have a p5wd2 (non-premium) ... no probs at all with it ... but i also disable almost everthing in bios - both these rigs are just dedicated folders atm.

batboy

Senior Moment
Most issues with the AW8 disappear once you update the BIOS. I have an AW8 and I'm quite happy with it (can't say the same for my water block that just sprang a leak today).

dylskee

batboy said:
Most issues with the AW8 disappear once you update the BIOS. I have an AW8 and I'm quite happy with it (can't say the same for my water block that just sprang a leak today).
Damn, that sucks batboy!!! Hope you didn't lose any hardware man.....
My vote is for the Asus. :)

Deanzo

Benchmarking Senior Member
Up till a week or two ago I was running an IC7-G till I soild my set up to a work mate.
I ended up going for the AW8 Max to be the back bone of my new system and so far couldnt be happier, now Im not much of an overclocker by I do like to read these forums.
With all most no work at all I run 250fsb 16Xmulitiplier (4ghz) Oh yeah I have a 640
Other than doing a BIOS update I have done nothing to it.
Now if you know more about overclocking than me (wouldnt be hard) a 300fsb should be doable