• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best M$ OS for a 233 Mhz Laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Superman

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas in which OS I should put on a 233Mhz laptop that I bought last night it has 128mb of memory. I dont know what I should put on it so it would run smooth and with no problems. Thanks.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
98 should give you no problems :)

I wouldn't really try anything else, however. You might be able to squeeze Win2k on there, but it'd run reallllly slow. '98 should be fine :)

Heat

98 would run good, W2k would run alright. I've used 2k on a PII 266 w/ 64ram at work and it worked OK, depends on what you're using it for.

OP
S

Superman

I'm basically going to use it for internet a little word processing.

By the way does anyone know if theres a way to edit the Windows 98 boot up screen like you can for Windows XP

WyrmMaster

I'm a little teapot Senior
Yah, all you have to do is replace a certain bitmap with the new one. Back when i had 98se i had a startup screen saying "warning, windows detected on this machine" :)

Disputant

I would go 98SE or maybe 2K Pro. I put 2K on a laptop about that speed last year and it really slowed it down, but at least it was stable.

ronin1967

If you keep it clean and want to have some fun, and you have the HDD space install XP, it will actually run great. I know the system specs call for more memeory and a faster processor, but I have it on a laptop of mine with 1/2 memory you have and it runs flawlessly. Previous to XP I installed Win98SE, removed everything including IE and OE and installed Opera, it was once fast compact machine...

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
erm . . .FYI, to install XP, you're going to have to hack the installer (I think). I am pretty sure that if your computer doesn't meet the requirements that it won't install, but maybe I'm thinking of OSX. Either way, any OS will run fine if you configure it properly. Slim it down, remove bloatware, don't install adware, etc..

Z

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
zachj said:
erm . . .FYI, to install XP, you're going to have to hack the installer (I think). I am pretty sure that if your computer doesn't meet the requirements that it won't install, but maybe I'm thinking of OSX. Either way, any OS will run fine if you configure it properly. Slim it down, remove bloatware, don't install adware, etc..

Z

I put 98se on a less than minimum spec computer by putting a 'no minimum' switch after the

setup.exe /-nm

to keep the os from checking the hardware specs while installing. I don't know if you can do that in xp.

OP
S

Superman

I put XP on it earlier and it runs good I just need to go and buy some more ram. I have 128 mb. The only problem is that I'm fairly new to laptops and I don't know which type of memory to put in it.

zachj

Chainsaw Senior
Check the manufacturer's site, documentation that came with it, etc.. Either that or pop it open and pull out a RAM module and read it and figure out what kind it is or write it down and ask a computer nut to tell you.

Z

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
Superman said:
I put XP on it earlier and it runs good I just need to go and buy some more ram. I have 128 mb. The only problem is that I'm fairly new to laptops and I don't know which type of memory to put in it.

Check out 18004Memory.com. It's where I got my laptop memory. Very cheap, low shipping cost and it has a locator so you can find the exact type of memory for your specific laptop model.