• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best method to login remotely without logging out?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mpegger

I would like to be able to access the desktop on my media server PC as I want to put it to work as a dedicated media encoding PC. I've tried out the remote desktop built into Windows, but it appears to me that if I login remotely, it would logout the same account that is logged in once I close the connection, defeating the purpose of running a program that could take hours (or days) to complete. Am I correct with this? If so, are there any other options besides RealVNC which would allow me to access that PC from within my LAN and that wouldn't cause the currently logged in account to log out so that regular programs (not services) would continue to run? BTW, I do not plan, nor have any need for access over the WAN, it will strictly be LAN only access.

Last edited:

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
You can leave programs open, I did this when my server ran a Windows OS. It does not log you out unless you tell it to.

OP
Mpegger

Mpegger

I leave the admin account logged in because I'm currently running [email protected] as a program, not as a service. I just tried it (didn't want to lose a few hours worth of encoding but went ahead anyway) and it logs me in a 2nd time even when using the same account name. I'd rather log into the currently logged in account so that I can turn off [email protected] and set meGUI to the lowest priority to prevent the computer from getting bogged down. I can set meGUI though to "Below Normal" priority which should be higher then [email protected] (I believe that's at "Lowest") which should allow it all the processing cycles it needs.

So if I do it by that means, and I setup meGUI for an encoding job, do I simply close the RDC window? How do I access that same RDC window again to checkup on the job?

[Edit] I just reread your reply and I realize I misunderstood what you meant. But that still doesn't solve how I can run meGUI remotely and leave it doing its thing without having to leave the 2nd PC on and logged in as well. :( [/edit]

Last edited:

Automata

I'm not sure why it is creating two different sessions, I could log back into the server and have all my applications still up. I did FRAPS encoding on my server, so I had a few explorer windows and VirtualDub running. When I remoted in, all were running and I started where I left off.

I'm sure I didn't change any options or go about it a "special" way. All I did was close the RDP window when I was done and hit "OK". To get back in, I just launched RDP with the same username.

nd4spdbh2

I leave the admin account logged in because I'm currently running [email protected] as a program, not as a service. I just tried it (didn't want to lose a few hours worth of encoding but went ahead anyway) and it logs me in a 2nd time even when using the same account name. I'd rather log into the currently logged in account so that I can turn off [email protected] and set meGUI to the lowest priority to prevent the computer from getting bogged down. I can set meGUI though to "Below Normal" priority which should be higher then [email protected] (I believe that's at "Lowest") which should allow it all the processing cycles it needs.

So if I do it by that means, and I setup meGUI for an encoding job, do I simply close the RDC window? How do I access that same RDC window again to checkup on the job?

[Edit] I just reread your reply and I realize I misunderstood what you meant. But that still doesn't solve how I can run meGUI remotely and leave it doing its thing without having to leave the 2nd PC on and logged in as well. :( [/edit]

what OS are you running on the computer your trying to log into. If its a windows server os your going to need to run the /admin switch to loginto the admin "console" otherwise it will create a new user session with the same user name.

Ill explain later how to implement if it is in fact your problem.

Automata

I was running 2003. I didn't need to do anything special. :eh?:

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
Another option is using Free VNC server. It will share your existing session and you won't have to worry about whatever problem your having.

There are multiple variants other than RealVNC. Logmein Free is another option.

OP
Mpegger

Mpegger

That's exactly how I would like the it to work. I was expecting to login to the same session as well. The media-server is running Windows Home Server, which is basically Server 2003. I just did a Google search and it looks like that's the way Server 2003 works. Theres supposed to be a command line switch you can use manually to connect to an existing session, but it doesn't appear to work in Win7 64 (I still open a new session). BUT, when I simply try to close (X) the RDC window, it tells me that doing so wont log me out and I can login again to the same session, which should at least allow me to setup and run meGUI. Gonna try it out.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I manage server 2003 everyday on hundreds of servers. Logging into an existing session isn't a problem, if I leave a session open. I'm using a regular account, not the built in administrator account which it sounds like your using.

I connect using the run commmand "mstsc /v servername"

OP
Mpegger

Mpegger

Yes, I believe that's the problem. I haven't enabled any of the other accounts on that WHS for RDC, which is why I use the administrator account. I'll go ahead and close it out and enable my own user account as I have the software already setup and shouldn't need admin rights for anything, just a basic user account.

OP
Mpegger

Mpegger

ARGH!

I enabled my account for RDC access and I'm getting the error:

"To log onto this computer, you must be granted the Allow log on through Terminal Services. By default, members of the Remote Desktop Users group have this right...."

Which my account does but its not letting me login. And I need to goto sleep now. :temper:

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
System Properties>Remote>Select remote users

If you place the account in the administrators group on that Server, that should also accomplish this.

nd4spdbh2

OK if you want to loginto the original administrator login console do this.

1. create a RDP file by going to remote desktop connection (click options or advanced) and inputting in all the required information and click save. and save it to C:\server.rdp

2. create a shortcut on your desktop with the following (change paths to rdp file if necessary)

%windir%\system32\mstsc.exe c:\server.rdp /admin

This will log you into the MASTER "administrator" user of which is already logged in on startup. Its the /admin switch that tells RDC to do it (it ust to be "connect to console:i:1" in the RDP file before the 6.0 client update.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
nd4, do you remember the switch you use when all available remote connections are in use?

There are only 2 concurrent RDP connections by default with most servers I work with. However, sometimes people forget to close out their sessions, and you can use a certain switch to get in, and then you can clear out the old connections if they are no longer in use. I think it was /console or /admin that did the trick maybe?

nd4spdbh2

nd4, do you remember the switch you use when all available remote connections are in use?

There are only 2 concurrent RDP connections by default with most servers I work with. However, sometimes people forget to close out their sessions, and you can use a certain switch to get in, and then you can clear out the old connections if they are no longer in use. I think it was /console or /admin that did the trick maybe?

hmm it might be the connect to console:i:1 or /admin ... both are the same, its just the earlier applies to the older Remote desktop clients.

Might want to check this out.

http://www.golod.com/2005/10/enabli...p-professional-and-media-center-edition-2005/ (just tested it on my server)

You can however get up to 3, two normal users, then an administrator connected to the "console" via the /admin switch.

OP
Mpegger

Mpegger

For whatever reason, it just won't allow my user account to RDC into the WHS, even though it is added into the allow list. I don't want to mess around with the permissions in WHS, so for now I won't login at the PC itself with any account, and I'll simply use the administrator account to RDC into that box. At least I can close out the RDC window and return back to it later on with everything running as it should be.

nd4spdbh2

For whatever reason, it just won't allow my user account to RDC into the WHS, even though it is added into the allow list. I don't want to mess around with the permissions in WHS, so for now I won't login at the PC itself with any account, and I'll simply use the administrator account to RDC into that box. At least I can close out the RDC window and return back to it later on with everything running as it should be.

what user group does the user belong to your trying to login with? (standard, power, admin?)

When i get home ill do a lil playing with users other than Administrator and RDC and various user groups.

aaaaaaaaaa

Use WinSSHD to create a SSH server and run their SSH client to connect and route your RDC session.

You can have your RDC encrypted with a 4Mbit cipher; it's RDC over SSH.

I use it and I'd be happy to answer questions about it :).

OP
Mpegger

Mpegger

what user group does the user belong to your trying to login with? (standard, power, admin?)

When i get home ill do a lil playing with users other than Administrator and RDC and various user groups.

It was a standard user account created from within the Windows Home Server Console app. There doesn't appear to be anything different about the account within the account manager, other then WHS maintains all the permissions for that account automatically for the shared folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.