• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best mobo and Ram to complement the AMD 2500+ Mobile chip

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baldyguy

Registered
I'm looking to build a new system for my cousin, and right now I have about $600.00 to spend... I already have a hard drive and a case... so right now...

I'm set on buying an AMD 2500+ chip and buying a Radeon 9800 Pro...

So which is the best mobo and Ram to complement the AMD 2500+ Mobile chip?

toastedzergling

Basically you need a nforce2 400 ultra based mobo, and preferrably with MCP-T southbridge. Abit AN7 came into mind, many nice features, nvidia's soundstorm, firewire, SATA RAID, dual channel memory suport, and it's trusted and proven, all these for about $30 extra, well worth it. RAM speed, latency and FSB don't really matter much on an AMD system, if you push your FSB 10% higher, you may get 1-2% performance gain and that's about it, but you may need to pay a lot extra for a small gain like that, so I would recommend 2x256MB name brand PC3200 RAM, crucial, kingston, corsair etc

CircuitBreaker8

Disabled
toastedzergling said:
Basically you need a nforce2 400 ultra based mobo, and preferrably with MCP-T southbridge. Abit AN7 came into mind, many nice features, nvidia's soundstorm, firewire, SATA RAID, dual channel memory suport, and it's trusted and proven, all these for about $30 extra, well worth it. RAM speed, latency and FSB don't really matter much on an AMD system, if you push your FSB 10% higher, you may get 1-2% performance gain and that's about it, but you may need to pay a lot extra for a small gain like that, so I would recommend 2x256MB name brand PC3200 RAM, crucial, kingston, corsair etc

Wha? Dont listen to this guy......

First off, the Abit AN7 is crap for overclocking, and doesnt touch the NF7-S v.2. Second, memory timings are very important on AMD systems, so you want the lowest. I recomend 2x512mb Mushkin 2-2-2 special or OCZ 3200 EB. Both are VERY good and can OC pretty far with tight timings. Also, get an Abit NF7-S for your mobo, there are tons of modded bios for it, and has everything you need onboard like soundstorm, LAN, etc..

Tebore

Circuit's right. I don't know what the other guy is talking about. the AN7 is tried and proven to be terrible at overclocking. The NF7-S is the best overclocker from Abit, you can trying the DFI Lan party or the Infinity. Latency and FSB is extremely important on AMD machines. For RAM either handpick some Kingston, or grab some PC3500 OCZ EB ram. If you get the NF7-S look around in cooling for threads on what components to slap heatsinks on.

toastedzergling

I was talking about a rig for a friend and under a budget, yes AN7 can't get you 220MHz+ FSB speed, however this mobile athlon chip is already unlocked, there is no need to go extremely high fsb speeds to get a good overclock, as I said you push your fsb 10% higher you get only 1-2% overall system performance gain, but you need to pay a lot extra, a stick of 256mb crucial pc3200 costs only $47 while 256mb corsair XMS pc3200 costs $83, yeah corsair gives you lower timings but it's hardly worth it. with DDR2, 90nm hammers, PCI express, next gen video cards on the horizon I say save money for better stuff.

Tebore

toastedzergling said:
I was talking about a rig for a friend and under a budget, yes AN7 can't get you 220MHz+ FSB speed, however this mobile athlon chip is already unlocked, there is no need to go extremely high fsb speeds to get a good overclock, as I said you push your fsb 10% higher you get only 1-2% overall system performance gain, but you need to pay a lot extra, a stick of 256mb crucial pc3200 costs only $47 while 256mb corsair XMS pc3200 costs $83, yeah corsair gives you lower timings but it's hardly worth it. with DDR2, 90nm hammers, PCI express, next gen video cards on the horizon I say save money for better stuff.

Actually Clock for clock increase 1mhz up on FSB is worth way more than a 1mhz increase in raw CPU power. In the case of the Athlon a high FSB is very important since that is it's majour handicap. You don't need to buy the most expensive ram out there. You can hunt for desired ICs on KVR or some no names.

toastedzergling

Tebore said:
Actually Clock for clock increase 1mhz up on FSB is worth way more than a 1mhz increase in raw CPU power. In the case of the Athlon a high FSB is very important since that is it's majour handicap. You don't need to buy the most expensive ram out there. You can hunt for desired ICs on KVR or some no names.

Ok let's say we have a 2GHz Athlon xp running at 200Mhz FSB, when you increase 1mhz in raw cpu power that's a 0.05% increase, when you increase FSB by 1 that's 0.5%, so your point is?

a few years ago AMD increase their athlon FSB speed from 133MHz to 200Mhz, that's a hefty 50% increase, however in the end overall system performance increase was only 5-10%, http://www.techreport.com/reviews/2002q3/athlon-333bus/index.x?pg=1

matttheniceguy

toastedzergling, when is the last time you overclocked an XP?

Changing my FSB by 10% seems to make about a 10% performance difference. I don't care about what a review site said about hardware with stock settings how many years ago. Memory bandwidth is something you can never have enough of, and running your mobile with a 220 or more fsb will give you a substancial performance boost over just 200.

I have the NF7-S v2.0, and all I can say is GET THIS BOARD!!

It is a dream to overclock, and is a pretty good deal considering all the features on it.

One place where I differ from most XP oc'rs is memory timmings. I have never noticed much difference between 3-3-3-8 timmings and 2-2-2-5 timmings. I find memory speed to be much more important. I can get more memory bandwidth from poor timmings and a couple extra MHz than good timmings and a little less speed. Most people will disagree with this, but I like to just use cheap samsung ram with horrable timmings.

Aslan

Also, why recommend the AN7 over the NF7-S when both boards are exactly the same price at Newegg? The NF7-S v2.0 has basically the same features (except for uGuru), but is a much better OC'er. You don't necessarily have to go for higher FSB's, but it has been shown to give a reasonable performance boost, and at least the option is available to you with the NF7-S, unlike the AN7 at the moment.