• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best (modern) Game Ever?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No one's mentioned Deus EX, easily one of the best games ever. One of the oldest games still loaded on the computer and not sitting on the shelf. How they screwed the sequel so bad is beyond me. That and Half-Life get my vote (though they'll probably scew up that sequel too).

StarCraft
WarCraft II
BF 1942 (+ DC mod)
Halo
Planescape: Torment
Morrowind
Baldur's Gate
Freespace 2
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3

As far as I am concerned Thief: The Dark Project and Half Life are pretty much tied for top billing. Although Panzer General will always hold a place in my heart as I never have that not installed (but it is pre-95 I am pretty sure). Always fun to fire it up and play another campaign to take over the world.

Deus Ex! I'm glad at least one person remembered how right it was that JC Denton is a monotone emotionless killing (or not) machine.

Otherwise, Call of Duty! I still haven't finished it, but it rocks. I wonder who will win in the end... I sure hope not the nazis! ;-)

Third choice... StarCraft. I find myself installing it every 4 or 5 months, just long enough so my old Battle.Net account was deleted for inactivity, and I have to start over. Oddly, I never finished any except the Terran single player missions.

<---- *Points to Avatar*

Putting Half-Life aside, Starcraft at the time made me eat, sleep and breathe the game. I sometimes lost my mind and went crazy... me and myself would have arguments at what would be a great strategic aproach to things... o_O

But thats just me :rolleyes:

Half-Life though, at the time i would CRAP my pants somtimes 'cause i got so into it. It kept the washer busy and the dirty basket full hehe (j/k) :D (looks forward to HL2)

Last edited:
Command and Conquer is pretty good game. If you like nascar racing games i would highly suggest the NASCAR Raving Series. they feature great graphics and accurate car details. It is also very realistic with cars being able to flip over.

And let's not forget the original Unreal and how unreal it was. Who could forget the lights clicking out one by one in the hallway as the skarrj busts out of the wall. Talk about pooping one's pants!

i would have to say
BF1942
Freelancer same as freespace but bigger and better
StarWars Knights of the old republic
Need For Speed Underground
Lord of the Rings Return of the king
GTA Vicecity
To name but a few

This is really one of those questions that probably should be seperated into two categories. Single player games and Multi-player games. Some games have excellent single player games and no multi (or horrible multi) while others have great multi player but no or horrible single player game.

Aktunka said:
This is really one of those questions that probably should be seperated into two categories. Single player games and Multi-player games. Some games have excellent single player games and no multi (or horrible multi) while others have great multi player but no or horrible single player game.

Good point,

I see many people post StarCraft, which on the single player side sucked, I am an RTS player to the bone, StarCraft is great Multiplay, but single play lacks story line, graphics are not to grand, nor is the music score anything special, those are things that matter in Single Play games, but Multiplay, Speed of loading is and always has been great, ease of connection to other players, fantastic with battle.net, learning curve very short, you can pick up the game andbe decent in a 15 minutes, so long as you don't compare your self to the players who have every strat for every map memorized.... but that will get me off on another tangent.

Unreal/Unreal Tournament
RtCW & ET
BF1942/DC
Doom II (Sure its 1994, but thats close enough, eh)
System Shock 2
Rainbow 6 Series

Back