• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best MS OS? Worth a poll?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Best Microsoft Desktop OS

• Windows 3.1

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Windows 95

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows 98 SE

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Windows ME

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Windows 2000

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Windows XP

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • Windows Vista SP1+

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • Windows 7

Votes: 68 62.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whoever voted for Windows ME should be dropped into a bear cage naked, smeared with honey and with raw steaks taped to their ***.

I say the mods disclose their name and we form an angry mob right now. ;)

Voted for Windows XP, but I am specifically talking about Windows XP Professional (32-bit). Over the last 15 years that I have been using Microsoft Operating Systems, I have used Windows XP Professional far longer than any other Microsoft product. It has been a great OS.

I had to go with XP Home 32 bit. I had the same install on a system for almost 10 years. It had crashes and problems, but nothing that ever caused me to reinstall. Robust, great interoperability.

Worst was probably 98 for me. I skipped ME, 2000.

voted 7, its been by far the best os so far. i loved xp and still use it but windows 7 is just so amazing, xp was always quirky on my netbook... win 7 its like the best thing thats ever happened.

And to those who dont like the win 7 task bar, you can make it exactly like visa... right click on it > properties and change the taskbar button option to combine when taskbar is full and check use small icons.

I voted win7 too. An amazing OS, my Netbook thrives on it. My OC'ed Desktop runs much smoother on win7 as well.

I will vouch for the new taskbar, its so much better and really streamlines information. I love it.

whoa...dind't think win7 would be so much ahead of the rest of the pack.
my first OS was Windows XP and have gone through Vista to win7, and gotta say 7 wins it for me.

the graphics really sway my decision, and win7's graphics really get to me.

Last edited:
I think its remarkably interesting that people are actually voting when the poll is seriously flawed as it has not been clarified what the question actually means.

Is the best MS OS for people who still have Duron 600's or 1ghz Athons with a 5gb hard disk still Windows 7?! lol

The poll might should be defined as 'what microsoft OS are you remarkably fond of' as the poll has no change what so ever at determining what is the best Microsoft OS to use for a specific purpose.

When talking about specific hardware my votes for this poll go like this:

Pre XT = DOS 6.22 if you have enough RAM, otherwise DOS 5 or even DOS 4.01
XT to 286 = DOS 6.22 in combination with Win 3.1
386 to 486 = DOS 6.22 in combination with Windows for Workgroups 3.11 using the Calmira II "Win95-look-alike" shell instead of Program Manager
5x86/Pentium/6x86 = Win95 OSR2
K6/early K7 = Win98 SE; or Win2K if you have enough RAM
Pentium Pro, PII = Win2K provided you have at least 128 MB RAM, otherwise NT 4.0
P4, single core A64s and Athlon XPs = Win2K if you want speed/stability and like the Win98 interface, or really limited on RAM; WinXP for convenience/updates/compatibility with newer software/etc.
Dual cores, quad cores, i7, Phenom II = Windows 7; Win 7 x64 edition only if you need it to see your additional RAM)
Atom = Windows 7 (I haven't used one so I'll just go with what others suggest when it comes to the netbooks)

Also, for some of the older computers it depends on what you want to do. For strictly playing DOS games I wouldn't hesitate to install DOS 6.22 on a late model 486 or early Pentium, I think pure DOS is best for DOS games (but DOS7 in Win95 works well, as does DOSbox these days). And for an older machine that needed stability but couldn't run Win2K I wouldn't hesitate to install NT 4.0, or 3.51 as alternatives.

Last edited:
I think its remarkably interesting that people are actually voting when the poll is seriously flawed as it has not been clarified what the question actually means.

Is the best MS OS for people who still have Duron 600's or 1ghz Athons with a 5gb hard disk still Windows 7?! lol

The poll might should be defined as 'what microsoft OS are you remarkably fond of' as the poll has no change what so ever at determining what is the best Microsoft OS to use for a specific purpose.

I alluded to it in my post, but I think every MS O/S was the best for it's time. They were all great, and worked well for that particular release, but time marches on, and things hopefully get better. I prefer Vista to Win7 by a smidge, but arguments could be made for the opposite opinion. 2kpro and XP are close, and at XP's release, arguments could have been made for 2kpro being better. As time went on, XP became the clear choice, especially considering it's freakishly long run. If Win7 goes on as long as XP did(I highly doubt it), I'll probably change my vote to Win7 being best. As it is, I'll wait for Win8, and I expect that to be better than Win7, with more changes than occurred between Vista and 7.

I maybe did not clarify exactly was this poll was about but most people seem to be on the ball and have gotten it right. I by no means meant for it to classed by hardware and oviously people still can't use Windows9x etc.

Suppose one way to put it is what MS OS gave you the most "wow" factor when it came out. For me it was going to Win2000 from 9x. And XP wasn't enough of an improvement over 2000 to get my vote. Vista had major issues on its release, even though SP1 sorted the OS out and Win7 is great but came a bit late to get my vote. Win95 is another OS I am fond of and in my opinion should still be Microsofts proudest moment but Win2000 wins my vote :)

Last edited:
I think every MS O/S was the best for it's time.

I can't agree with you here.

Win98 pretty much failed and had issues until 98 SE came out

WinME was so bad it was nearly a joke and most people consider it to be the worst MS OS yet.

Pre SP1 Vista had major driver and performance issues.

So I really don't think every MS OS was the best for it's time.

2K/XP was definitely solid when it came out SP1 for XP kinda wrecked it, SP2, fixed some of it and SP3 is almost as good as XP vanilla.

My favorite so far is Vista64. Its remarkably stable solid, good performance despite what people think, and had enough improvements to make XP obsolete.

Windows 7 is not bad, it is a tweaked Vista OS, but I was not a big fan of some of the changes they made, I guess I am seeing in 7 what other people saw in Vista coming from XP (I have run Vista in some iteration since 2004 though, so the changes were not drastic for me).

I will probably purchase 7 once SP1 is released. Just because it is the "newest thing." My daily driver will remain Vista until then though.

WinME was so bad it was nearly a joke and most people consider it to be the worst MS OS yet.

I think the initial release of Windows 98 is the single worst MS OS made to date and a big reason why is MS F'd it up by integrating IE4. IE4 = the single worst product MS has ever released. It truly came from the bowels of the nastiest toilet in Hell, never in my life have I had so many BSODs/IPFs/etc as I did with the first version of 98.

The more I think of it the more i look back with extreme fondness at DOS 6.22, that was a very good OS. Simple and easy, and unlike practically every version of Windows it didn't have a registry, it didn't litter 3rd party program support files all throughout the OS folder and the hard drive; all of its stuff stayed in the DOS folder and it was incredibly easy to transfer the OS and programs from one drive to the other without having to reinstall programs, etc. I haven't seen an OS that easy/simple to work with the classic Mac OS. Win7 is still my favorite, followed by Win2K at a very very close second.

Suppose one way to put it is what MS OS gave you the most "wow" factor when it came out.

For wow factor, it was definitely Vista. I was in love at first bootup, and never had significant problems, even during the pre release versions.

I can't agree with you here.

Pre SP1 Vista had major driver and performance issues.

So I really don't think every MS OS was the best for it's time.

Win98 was fine. It had bugs like most new O/Ss, but they got worked out. ME was the same way. The only thing wrong with ME is it wasn't NT based. It was every bit as good as 98, if not better. The problem was it wasn't nearly as good as 2kpro. If you remove 2kpro from the comparison(it was a business version), ME was a fine consumer O/S.

Vista worked well for me from day 1. You can't pin driver problems on MS. I had Vista well before release, and I'm a nobody. 3rd party developers had it before I did, and there was no excuse for their poor support of Vista.

I personally never had a problem with Vista and i thought it was great (minus the annoying UAC). Then when i tested 7 i was blown away with all the new shiny features, innovative new task bar, and all around child -like giddyness i couldnt help but installing it on day one of release. M$ finally got it right so im excited to see whats in store for 8 :)

Back