• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BEST nforce2 setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

snyper1982

Ok guys, i was just wondering what the best nforce2 setup is. cause all this pc2700, pc3200, 133mhz fsb, 166mhz fsb, synchronous, asynchronous stuff is starting to get a bit confusing. Im just wanting to know what the best setup is going to be for the new athlon and nforce2 mobo. thanks guys.

mook

Registered
Best setup? Hrm....correct me if I'm wrong on this guys....but...

1. Lock PCI/AGP in spec.

2. Unlock XP.

3. Run it at full fsb and low multiplier at 1:1 memory (if you can)

4. Run it dual ddr if you have 2 fabulous overclocking sticks of ram.

5. Welcome to benchmark heaven =)

Something just appeals to me when you could run a 2400+ at say....237x10.5 and not have to worry about frying a video or pci card :D

Serraph

Nforce2 will support PCI locking so you should be able to overclock the FSB to 200+ range. With that in mind you'll likely want a fast processor with good overclockability (obviously), 2 x 256 mb pc3200 Corsair XMS series memory (the best overclocking ram known to man), and the nforce2 motherboard with all the options you want and overclocking features. I'm personally going for the Epox 8rda+ since it has what I want (5.1 audio, 2 ethernet network connections, max 237 fsb, etc).

*edit*
<----------------finally 2 stars :D

bigfoot

I believe these two hit it right on the head, good luck.

I'll be pairing a new nForce2 mainboard w/ my extreme AthlonXP 1600+ (does 2G:)) and 2 x 256 mb pc3200 Corsair XMS series memory. And I'm going for the same kind of setup as mook suggested! 233FSB sounds cool. Maybe 233 X 8.5 (1980.5) :)

bigfoot

I just have a volcano 9 with the riostat set to full blast, If I leave it on over night (hardley ever) I just underclock it in windows from 175FSB to 166FSB and drop the fan speed to practicaly off.

attack

i know you can change/lock AGP, but can you choose to icnrease PCI as well? so like just set it at 38mhz or so for a nice sound increase but still be safe? or can you only adjust AGP and you can only lock PCI?

OP
snyper1982

snyper1982

i was wondering more about the ram and stuff, cause i remember reading that a nforce 2 gets a big jump when using two sticks of ram that are running in sync with the procssor, or something like that. can someone explain this whole nforce thing please?

Kosmic

Wish that I could, but try doing a search for nforce and then read the links to articles about it that show up within the threads. But if 'this whole nforce thing' lives up to half its hype, it'll be worth it. :D

Kosmic

Oh yeah, does anybody know if all the multipliers on the new Tbreds are available on nforce2 like it is on kt400? Not that unlocking ONE bridge is a big deal, but life can never be too easy. ;)

Just shoot

To get over 200 FSB on a Nforce2 board you'll have to use softFSB or something similiar, if it works, all the nforce2 boards I've seen have a MAX FSB of 200 MHZ. Just something you might want to consider or wait for the epox board which might allow higher FSB settings than all the other boards, possibly the abit board as well. Just a thought.

Kosmic

I'm definitely waiting for the Epox. My 8KHA2 is awesome @ 200 FSB and I'm sure it could go higher if I was willing to put my vid card and hard drives at risk, which I'm not. PCI divider locking is going to be sweet.

But...does anybody know about accessing the Tbred mults without unlocking the L3?

Wicked Klown

Hard *** Southern Boy Senior
ATC9001 said:
i know you can change/lock AGP, but can you choose to icnrease PCI as well? so like just set it at 38mhz or so for a nice sound increase but still be safe? or can you only adjust AGP and you can only lock PCI?

I know the Chaintech I was read bout didn't say anything bout the PCI lock. All it showed was the AGP lock, would be nice to have a PCI lock.