• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best non-Unlock Comp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metra

OK, i've been thinking and have decided that unlocking comp and doing major overclocks and getting all the parts for a good oc is just too much hassle and $$$. So i've decided just to do some oc w/o having to get a tornado or getting the top oc board. Anyone know the parts for a computer just like that? Heres the parts i need:

CPU: Im guessing xp1600 since it goes up to like 1750 w/o unlock. Are any pentiums good? Or maybe some other xps.
Mobo: NO CLUE. I was planning on getting abit kx7-333 but now that i dont need major oc i dont know which one to get.
RAM: 256 2700 crucial (get another stick later on)
PSU: 300-350? watts. Sparkle maybe?
CPU Fan: 40 cfm?

I think thats it. At least all im having questions with. Since theres gonna be a pretty big price drop because im not going with ultra good RAM and all the cooling supplies, i might be able to get a better cpu or higher ddr ram. Any suggestions? Thanks.

BaldHeadedDork

I don't want to start a flame war with the AMDroids, but you can't beat the overclocking in a Pentium 4 today.

Here's an Intel rig I'd put together for overclocking:
CPU: P4 2.26B Northwood (A lot of guys get these to three gig on air cooling, sweet chip for about $180 at Newegg.)
MOBO: Abit BD7II RAID (Not the newest board, but stable as a mountain, great overclocker, tons of features and just a little more than $100.)
RAM: Corsair XMS3200.
PSU: Sparkle 350W (Good pick.)
CPU/FAN: Lot of choices depending on how crazy you want to get with the overclock. Alpha, Thermal Right, and Cooler Master make the best overclocking HSF, with Zalman in the group below. I like Panaflo fans because they reduce noise without sacrificing airflow.

BHD

OP
M

metra

I was thinking more of a light overclock... How much do you need to need to do to get a good overclock on a p4? I never visited the intel cpus section... =[. Do you still need the expensive (and loud) fan, heatsinks, and as3? Cause if it costs a lot and i have to set it up and stuff then i dont really want it. How much fsb could i get with the 2.26B? I dont think up to 200...? So i wouldnt really need the corsair xms3200. Maybe a 3000 or even 2700 would sufice. And maybe a mobo for 80 or less?

I think that my desire to get a huge overclock was just a phase. I still want to overclock but i dont want to spend 100+ dollars on cooling equipment, and ultra great memory and mobos. I just need some decent memory and mobo that will be able to take that 200 or maybe more oc. If pentiums dont need that whole deal than i'll gladly take one.

Daemonfly

Well for another example:

I just got a P4 1.6A on an Albatron mobo. I have a Thermaltake 1U copper fin heatsink on it(very tiny) and it hits 2.13GHz on 133Mhz bus stable as a rock. I tried 150Mhz bus but it locked up, but considering the small heatsink....

1.6A's are rare now, but 1.8A are just about as good.

BaldHeadedDork

metra said:
I was thinking more of a light overclock... How much do you need to need to do to get a good overclock on a p4? I never visited the intel cpus section... =[. Do you still need the expensive (and loud) fan, heatsinks, and as3? Cause if it costs a lot and i have to set it up and stuff then i dont really want it. How much fsb could i get with the 2.26B? I dont think up to 200...? So i wouldnt really need the corsair xms3200. Maybe a 3000 or even 2700 would sufice. And maybe a mobo for 80 or less?

No, you don't have to invest in an aftermarket HSF to get a moderate overclock out of a P4. The stock Intel HSF actually works pretty well for a mild tweak.

I do, however, always recommend AS3. You don't have to, but its become a force of habit for me.

And you can drop down to XMS3000 or 2700 if you're going to go this route. But gettting a decent motherboard for $80 or less is really out of the question. You can get the Abit BD7II without RAID for $91 at Newegg, but that's the best deal I can recommend. Boards with SiS and VIA chipsets can be found for less, but the tradeoff in stability and reliability aren't worth it in my book.

metra said:
I think that my desire to get a huge overclock was just a phase. I still want to overclock but i dont want to spend 100+ dollars on cooling equipment, and ultra great memory and mobos. I just need some decent memory and mobo that will be able to take that 200 or maybe more oc. If pentiums dont need that whole deal than i'll gladly take one.

The system I spec'ed out will get you there. Check out some of the stuff in the Intel forums, lots of good tips there.

BHD