• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best O/C mobo? Abit? Asus?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

yo4444

What is the general consencus on the best socket A O/C mobo. I have seen arguments for bothe the a7n8x-e Deluxe, and the Nf7-s, the Asus praise including better on board sound, and some saying that the nf7-s gets better overclocks...
I am looking at both on Ebay, and would appreciate more feedback to help me out. I am buying for a friend, but will switch out one of my Mobos and give it to him if the consensus comes up with abit.

be careful what you buy from ebay, sadly there are some misleading sellers there. they will sell a p4c800e-d new in box and all for a good price but then you get it and realize its a rev 1. older style.
i always shop at newegg or somewhere that i can return it without a hassle if there are glitches

i like abit nf7 better, and i have example to support it too.

i have nf7s-2 and my friend has asus a7n8x-e dlx. i was able to get his xp1700+ to run @ 9.5x235 stable on my nf7s. when i moved it to his a7n8x-e dlx, it will only run stable @ 9.5x210. it will not boot if i upped the fsb pass 215. the only way to get pass 220fsb is to do the l12 mod, but it's still unstable. the only non-stock mods on my nf7s is merlin D25 bios.

The Nf7-s on ebay im looking at is Rev. 2.0, and not the-s2 so I believe that is the preferred one.
What are the diff's between the infinity, lanparty and nf7's?
Forgive the question, I know the a7n8x's inside out, but not the others...

yo4444 said:
The Nf7-s on ebay im looking at is Rev. 2.0, and not the-s2 so I believe that is the preferred one.
What are the diff's between the infinity, lanparty and nf7's?
Forgive the question, I know the a7n8x's inside out, but not the others...

nf7's seem to be "slightly" more stable that DFI's, they have vcore to 2.3v, vdimm to 2.9, and vdd to 1.7. they also lack a detailed array of ram timings/opions. they usually on average have lower Max fsb overclocks that DFI's

the dfi's have Vcore to 2.0v, vdimm to 3.3v, and vdd to 1.9. they usually get more fsb than NF7, but you must becafull of bios corruption(known as "4 leds of death"). they have more ram timings than NF7 as well. DFI also needs NEO plate to mount thermalright HSF's......

whatever you do don't mess with asus.... i have the a7n8x r2.... had my 2500m in it.... couldn't get over 2.4ghz no matter what I did and I even did the vdd mod..... replaced it with an nf7 and I've got the same cpu up to 2.55 stable. I don't think you could go wrong with either the nf7/s series or the dfi boards.

i have a DFI right now and it suits me fine, but i do also agree with homer77 on the abit nf7. when i had my 1700 i was able to get it to ~2300 (11*210). it was an amazing overclock, then again the 1700 was an amazing chip. oddly enough, i couldn't get it to be over 217 like homer77 also. i didn't know about the L12 mod then, so i couldn't try.

Abit and DFI are good

if i had to choose it would say dfi, i just can deal w/ the factor voltage adjustemts of the NF7, if you can handle a hot flash, then get a DFI.

Jess1313 said:
nf7's seem to be "slightly" more stable that DFI's, they have vcore to 2.3v, vdimm to 2.9, and vdd to 1.7. they also lack a detailed array of ram timings/opions. they usually on average have lower Max fsb overclocks that DFI's

the dfi's have Vcore to 2.0v, vdimm to 3.3v, and vdd to 1.9. they usually get more fsb than NF7, but you must becafull of bios corruption(known as "4 leds of death"). they have more ram timings than NF7 as well. DFI also needs NEO plate to mount thermalright HSF's......
First of all, My thermalright is an 800a, do i still need a neo plate?
second, are there uber bioses for the nf7's that will do more vdimm and vdd?. my corsair is warrantied up to 2.9, even though i may have vioded that warranty by removing the stickers...

no you dont need neo plate exept for w/ slk-947u, and sp-97 w/ dfi...

also there isnt any bioses that allow for more that 2.9vdimm, and 1.7vdd on the Nf7, but there are vmods, but the DFi does 3.3vdimm,and 1.9vdd@stock....

Thats why i saked, ... I like the idea of a nice amount of vdimm, but i like the idea of vcore as well.... hmmmmmm
We'll see...
I think price may end up the overriding factor, but if I can find both for a relatively small difference.....

goon said:
I'll put my money on Asus :clap:

lol....ok.... way to follow the thread....

There is no denial that Asus makes good motherboards, but in this case the Asus is just out classed by the Abit and DFI.

I personally prefer the NF7. Correct me if this doesn't apply to lower FSB's, but don't the NF7's get higher memory bandwidths at the same FSB? From what I have read an NF7 doing 240 has about the same memory bandwidth as a DFI doing 245-250. This may not be true for lower FSB's though.

DFI's bios support has grown immensely. Like the earlier Abit's they simply needed some time to work the kinks out. Granted, there are people who do experience problems and the occassional DOA (though it is rare now). But most issues these days are an example of user error. More recent bioses have proven to be quite flash friendly and have also placed these boards in the top echelon for performance, overclocking, and new features (such as the extended Romsip tables, new SATA bioses, etc.). As far as the bios is concerned, I am sure that most of us are away that bios corruption can be notorious across all NF2 based chipsets, and, as such, I wouldn't even recommend an NF7-s to anybody without the purchase of a bios savior.

Both boards are excellent, but the DFI's tend to excel in the fsb overclocking arena. This does not mean that the NF7 cannot do it, but it is usually done best on older models on the V2 and ones that are heavily modded, whereas most of us find joy in overclocking DFI's stock. Nonetheless, I would only recommend a DFI to a true enthusiast as they can test your patience but the reward can be quite great. Lastly, I think I should add that there is no truth to the NF7 beating the DFI clock for clock anymore, that was simply a matter of AGP latency which has also been addressed in various bios revisions since December of last year. Most NF7-S default to 225 agp latency whereas many DFI bioses default to 32.

In the end, the choice is up to you. The NF7-s will most likely secure a good mhz overclock, but if you have bh-5/bh-6 and want to get the most out of your ram then you definitely need to look at what the DFi boards have to offer.

deception``

Back