• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best O/C motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OpJ

I am going to get either Athlon 1Ghz AXIA Y or a 1.3Ghz, and going to go for the highest speed i can get. Ill put plenty of fans and a good heatsink in the case. I am also looking to go down the DDR Ram options, for the bigger bandwidth.

What motherboard would best fit my needs? I would like to be able to change multiplier in the BIOS, and the FSB. DDR is a neccesity, and RAID would be a major bonus.

All in all i want a fast board that doesnt require modding for large overclocks, as i would like to go for 1.5Ghz and more (when i get water-cooling)

Any help appreciated,
Owen

Abit KT7A - Raid mobo is what I run and really like the board, its easy to set up and has loads of features, the documentation is great as well.

Dont expect a big performance boost from using DDR ram though as its highly overated and overpriced .. I think the technology has to develop a bit before its worth looking at
---------------------------------------
Duron 800 @ 1050 with Global Win FOP-32 (140 x 7.5)
Abit KT7A-Raid Mobo
512 mb (133 mhz Crucial Stuff CAS 2)
Hard Drive Cooler
Elsa Eraser X2 Gforce with Blue Orb (modified to display as a Quadro and overclocked http://www.tweakhardware.com/guide/quadro/ )
Sound Blaster Live Value
Full Tower with 5 (120 mm) case fans with seperate PSU

Thanks!

Ive been looking around, and i think ill go for SDRAM instead. Is it worth the extra effort to use the 150mhz RAM that is available now?

I think i will get the I-Will KK266-R - it is getting VERY good benchmarks and overclocking it is meant to be easy as it is all BIOS controlled.

Thanks for the help.

Just incase you did not know the Abit KT7A-Raid mobo has all the settings in the bios also, and appart from getting good reviews it is used by a great deal of people in this forum which makes getting help for it easy and speaks volumes about how respected the mobo is..

The SDRAM specified higher than 133 mhz is not to a recognized standard.. it is in fact 133 mhz RAM just tested to run this high, quite where you stand regarding warrantees is anyones guess.. I use Crucial Cas 2 and that runs ok at to 140 mhz and I haven't tested any higher

OpJ,

The Iwill KK266(R) boards are not entirely jumper-free designs. Most settings are as you noted done Via the BIOS, but there are a few jumpers on the board. They are as follows.

CMOS:this should be evident.

FSB (Front Side Bus) Select Jumper :In order to move between 100Mhz, and 133Mhz bus a jumper must be moved.

VIO (Voltage Input/Output):This is rather hokey IMHO, but in order to manipulate VIO, another jumper is involved.

IDE Raid Jumper : In order to use the RAID functions, this jumper must be moved. Default is non-RAID.

Audio Jumper: This is to use the onboard sound.

I have two non-RAID boards, and I have found them to be east to set-up, and fine boards for overclockers. The jumpers are large and easy to find and use.

T

Back