• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best OS for a new install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm running it on Debian mostly and one Ubuntu 18.04 host. I'm happy to hear you got it working. I thought I'd share a couple things I've learned along the way.
  • The machine will start folding on installation of the client S/W.
  • There are three packages. I've settled on installing only the first (client) package. The control package does not run in Debian Buster.
  • Other ways to control folding are via telnet, web interface and command line. (Ask if you want further information on any of these.)
  • I monitor progress by tailing the log "tail -f /var/lib/fahclient/log.txt" in a terminal window. If the log seems to stop updating, kill the command and restart it. The client will close, rename and reopen a new log file.
  • If you modify the config.xml (as described above) you need to reload the client S/W for it to take effect. "sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient reload" When you do this, the client will close, rename and open a new log file.

Ubuntu is a good choice for anyone not familiar with Linux who wants to use it to fold. The next LTS (long term release) is presently in beta, destined to be released this month. I suggest using the current LTS (18.04) and when 20.04.1 is available, the S/W updater will offer to upgrade.

Fold on!

Ubuntu was fine, I've used it before so there were only a few hurdles to get it setup. I never did get the control application working, but Web Control plus manually editing the config worked well enough. Unfortunately, that system has proven to be unstable for some reason. Hard freezes. Same as it was doing with Windows, so it seems to be a hardware issue somewhere when it's under load. That mainboard and CPU have been through a lot since I built it in 2009. I used to run GPUgrid on two GTX 260s, then it was mining cryptos with a GTX 660ti, later it got back on cryptos with 2x GTX 1070s, and later 2x GTX 1080. And that's in addition to being a full time gaming desktop for a long time.

So yea, I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's reached its limits finally.

Well either way you got a nice long life out of it :) I still have some AMD systems laying in the basement. 2 of them with 1090Ts and one with a 1055. They all still work, perhaps I'll start cramming GPUs in those things too :p

The way I installed the Control and Client in Ubuntu was to double click on the install files after I downloaded them. Had no problems.
I have 7.4.4 and 7.4.15 of the software if you can't get the current version to install right. I can email them to you if you want.

client_control.jpg

Last edited:
Back