• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Overclocking CPU on a budget??? (200-300$ Canadian a.k.a 172-260$ American)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mooreswhat

Title says it all, Looking for best AMD 64 CPU for my dollaz. (200-300$ Canadian a.k.a 172-260$ American)

Will be running on a Ocz Powertsream, MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum, Corsair Value Ram PC3200 (Maybe getting better RAM, depends on $$$)

Whats the Best CPU for overclocking in my range?

OP
mooreswhat

mooreswhat

Yes she is, thats what im planning on, but which one is best for ocing, 3000+ 3200+ 3500+

Or is there some of the less expensive Optys that are better for me?

makaka

Or is there some of the less expensive Optys that are better for me?
get the chipset opetron s939 they will overclock better than the venice +1mb cache
:)
maybe u should think about some dual core with a bit more $ if u are not plannig for update for long time

makaka

Hows this one look:
it s look ok
the 11x multiplier will help a lot with your mobo in overlock for sure u can get 3ghz with only 270 htt
just remneber to get a ram capable of 300 to get a max system perfomance somethings like 290-300 * 10 = 2900-3000mhz 1:1 will be dowable with good stepennig
i hope one for u
i newgg site their is no lower rated opetron but u can try to search in the net the for 1.8 or the 2ghz cpu(opetron) they will overlock pretty the same and u can save a bit more of $
but u are ok with this one
good luck

OP
mooreswhat

mooreswhat

IM still confused, what are steppings? And whats this business about CABYE or something, is it like a roll of the dice when u order an opteron?

Sry I only reaserched on the Venice Core chips :rolleyes:

blackfury

stepping has to do with which batch the processor was made in
cab2e 0540
cab2e- batch
05 - year
40 - week

OP
mooreswhat

mooreswhat

I understand the CABYE is the best? What are the odds of getting a CABYE, and will the other batches still OC well?

Also is it confirmed that Opterons are being cut off by AMD?

blackfury

Nevalite said:
I understand the CABYE is the best? What are the odds of getting a CABYE, and will the other batches still OC well?

Also is it confirmed that Opterons are being cut off by AMD?

Almost completely confirmed. CABYE isn't necessarily the best, depends on the week as well. I know the opty 148 cab2e 0540 has been performing very well, also the 144 cab2e 0540.

OP
mooreswhat

mooreswhat

I'm only buying my stuff in January, do you think that optys will still be available in january?

jpersinger

I purchased that exact processor from Newegg...148 retail opteron. Currently stable at 2.9 gHz, can 1M upwards of 3.1 gHz on air.

I would say that you will probably get a good processor if you order the 148 retail opteron from Newegg. I know of 2 ocforum members and 1 XS member that ordered this exact processor. Most of us got 0543 CABYE, all of us got CABYE, and I think all of us are able to at least bench above 3.0 gHz so...

blackfury

Nevalite said:
I'm only buying my stuff in January, do you think that optys will still be available in january?

They have been going in and out of stock frequently, the 148s haven't gone out of stock quite so bad.

greenshift

Registered
basicly with overclocking your rolling the dice ANYTIME you buy a chip. no batch or stepping or week will give all good chips. some stepings or weeks might give a better chance to get a good chip but you cant rely on that.

that said, only 1 stepping is bad for optys and that is the cabge all others are decent to good and basicly clock better than venice