• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best P4 Air Cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
Frankly I think the SP-94 is overrated.. It does a good job cooling, but you need a high rpm (lot of noise) fan to really achieve the cooling levels most people are talking about. It is a pain to mount - while it isn't the hardest thing in the world, it is certainly more difficult to mount than other HSF's. The thing I HATED about the heatsink is that the mounting holes line up into 'slots' and when you remove the heatsink, to install a new CPU, you'll likely pull the old CPU right out of the socket. I did that several times - basically there is ZERO room to try and work the heatsink free from the thermal compound. My Zalman CPNS-7000A-Cu cools just as well as the Thermalright and is a helluva lot quieter, easier to mount and remove, and doesn't require you to remove the stock intel mounting bracket.

My idle temp is 34c - same as with the Thermalright SP-94 and a 90mm fairly quiet fan.

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
mattspalace said:
Frankly I think the SP-94 is overrated.. It does a good job cooling, but you need a high rpm (lot of noise) fan to really achieve the cooling levels most people are talking about. It is a pain to mount - while it isn't the hardest thing in the world, it is certainly more difficult to mount than other HSF's. The thing I HATED about the heatsink is that the mounting holes line up into 'slots' and when you remove the heatsink, to install a new CPU, you'll likely pull the old CPU right out of the socket. I did that several times - basically there is ZERO room to try and work the heatsink free from the thermal compound. My Zalman CPNS-7000A-Cu cools just as well as the Thermalright and is a helluva lot quieter, easier to mount and remove, and doesn't require you to remove the stock intel mounting bracket.
I agree. At lower noise levels, the Zalman either matches or tops the Thermalright. In the end, it will be a little cheaper as well. In terms of convenience and everyday useability, the Zalman wins IMHO.

In case you're asking, the only reason I'm using a Thermalright is because I managed to obtain a blower.

ed.howell

I went from the Zalman 7000A-cu to the Hyper6, both using AS5 and my temps dropped 10-12 degrees C. The Zalman is VERY quiet and does a descent job of cooling but if you don't mind a little work mounting it the Hyper 6 does an excellent job and the fan isn't that loud 30-34db at full speed. It is very heavy and I wouldn't bang the case around a lot but they give you a steel mounting bracket to mount behind the motherboard so it's pretty strong.
Honestly I don't know how some of these guys have a tornado. I have my computer hooked up to my home theater so low noise is important.

Just my 2cents

ed.howell

mattspalace said:
How does the Hyper 6 mount? Does it require you to remove the stock intel bracket? Hard to tell from the pictures..

Yes you have to remove the stock intel bracket and they provide you with a new one. You have to remove the mobo to install the steel backing plate also. It took about 20 minutes to install, not very hard.

LabRat23

I have a Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu myself. I should have gone for the all copper version. If you get one, you might want to try this mod. Most of the air excapes out of the sides without going through the vanes. Zalman didn't much care because it was not designed to be a high airflow heatsink. However, if you block the two gaps in the sides with aluminum foil, you have dropped your load temps by 1 - 2C for free. Duct in its own independant air supply and you have dropped load temps by about 5C more. Force feed the thing with a 120mm fan and you can sacrifice its silence for another few degrees. This all made a difference of 20C over stock air for me.

LabRat23

I will as soon as I get a USB cable for my antiquated digital camera. The hole I cut in the case, the duct, and the HS mod are pretty ugly. It was something I did at the spur of the moment and it did wonders. I think I will clean it up some before I post the pics.

batboy

Senior Moment
I have a Thermalright SLK-947U which is cheaper than the SP-94 and cools almost as good.

It has two ways to mount. 1) Super easy clips that use the stock bracket (this is what I use) or 2) a mounting bracket with a back plate like the SP-94 uses that requires removing the stock bracket and taking the mobo out to install.

The SLK-947U will allow the use of 60mm, 80mm, or 92mm fans in either the thin or thick versions.

I haven't tried the Zalman or Hyper6, although I've heard good things about them.

DamienKC

IDK, my thermalright SP-94 + 92mm Tornado works awesome. When my fan is down to 3200 RPM's, it's really silent and I get the same temperatures I would if it was full speed. About 32c idle and 42c load. When I'm lanning at my friends house, it's like 27c idle and 36c load (his basement is pretty chilly, my room is hot). Tornado's are good if you turn them down 3/4ths the way.

Stratcat

LabRat23 said:
I have a Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu myself. I should have gone for the all copper version. If you get one, you might want to try this mod. Most of the air excapes out of the sides without going through the vanes. Zalman didn't much care because it was not designed to be a high airflow heatsink. However, if you block the two gaps in the sides with aluminum foil, you have dropped your load temps by 1 - 2C for free. Duct in its own independant air supply and you have dropped load temps by about 5C more. Force feed the thing with a 120mm fan and you can sacrifice its silence for another few degrees. This all made a difference of 20C over stock air for me.

Hehe...I'd bet you're extremely careful w/that aluminum foil! :eek:

I've got 3 all copper Zalman 7000's on 25% OC'd P4c's. I REALLY like 'em. Easy 1 minute mounting, and reasonable coolling when I skip the "Fanmate" thingie, and just plug directly into the mobo for ~2600 RPM.

While not really for extreme air cooling, I always wished they would've left out the "holes" by putting the fins evenly around, and used a fan that could go up to the 4500 RPM range, while using the controller.

The extra costs would've been negligable, and the controller would allow quite running for those that want it. But I realize the design is based on a marketing segment decision for "quiet computing". What a shame! :(

I have heard of a fan modded Zalman 7000cu. Never saw any pics though. Might even have been in OCC's forums.

Strat

stan03

well i considered the Zalman when i was getting my heatsink, but the problem was it wouldn't fit on my board. also from reviews i read at the time it performed well on stock machines, but as you overclocked it didn't perform as well as the SP-94. obvsiously some of you have proven that wrong. but since the Zalman is huge you prolly want to make sure it fits on your mobo when ordering. on a side note, although im sure the Zalman is quieter than my Thermalright, the Panaflo fans aren't that loud either, its definitely alot quieter than my tornado :D

Jarlax

I use the Zalman 7000AlCu and I love the damn thing! It is extremely quiet. In fact it is the quietest fan in my case. I have idle temps around 32/33 and load temps around 40/42. If you are going to oc a prescott or a 3.2+ chip it might not work as well, but for my 2.4 it is golden. See sig for more details of what it allows me to do.

krag

Classifieds Moderator
batboy said:
I have a Thermalright SLK-947U which is cheaper than the SP-94 and cools almost as good.

It has two ways to mount. 1) Super easy clips that use the stock bracket (this is what I use) or 2) a mounting bracket with a back plate like the SP-94 uses that requires removing the stock bracket and taking the mobo out to install.

The SLK-947U will allow the use of 60mm, 80mm, or 92mm fans in either the thin or thick versions.

I haven't tried the Zalman or Hyper6, although I've heard good things about them.

I'm with batboy. I use the Thermalright SLK-948U and like it better than the SP-94. It cools about the same but is so much easyer to use...like when you are swapping out cpu's. tHe SP-94 was a pain to deal with when I was changing cpu's.

I use the "super easy" clips....aaahhhh yes!!