• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best P4 Air Cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Jarlax said:
I use the Zalman 7000AlCu and I love the damn thing! It is extremely quiet. In fact it is the quietest fan in my case. I have idle temps around 32/33 and load temps around 40/42. If you are going to oc a prescott or a 3.2+ chip it might not work as well, but for my 2.4 it is golden. See sig for more details of what it allows me to do.
You're right Jarlax. A Zalman (at least the all copper ones) can handle pretty much any P4C "air" OC you can throw at it, when running the fan wide-open. I've got a [email protected], a [email protected], and another [email protected]. All three cpu's are running 'actual' Vcores at 1.65 - 1.68V. All are running 2 Distributed Computing clients concurrently, 24/7, every day, non-stop.

This is pretty intensive use, but my full load temps never exceed the upper 40's*C (Via AsusProbe)! Impressive for a very quite, IMO, HSF. I prolly wouldn't buy it for a Pressie OC though. But hey, if I had a Pressie available, I wouldn't hesitate to toss it in one of my Zalman rigs, just to check it out!

BTW - I see you're from my neck of the woods...

Strat

DamienKC said:
IDK, my thermalright SP-94 + 92mm Tornado works awesome. When my fan is down to 3200 RPM's, it's really silent and I get the same temperatures I would if it was full speed. About 32c idle and 42c load. When I'm lanning at my friends house, it's like 27c idle and 36c load (his basement is pretty chilly, my room is hot). Tornado's are good if you turn them down 3/4ths the way.

LOL quiet at that speed. I 5volt modded my 92mm Tornado I had on my heatsink before I went something quieter. It was still loud at around 2000-2300 RPM. The loudest thing in the case at that speed. Now I got a different one on there at it works great at 7V along with the other 2 120mm fans I got in the case. It runs around 42-45C in summer with this on my SP-94.

Only issue I got with the heat sink is that the heat pipes gets in the way of one of the mounts. So when screwing it in, its a real pain to get it tight.

it would be pretty hard to mod the zalman to work with a tornado... im guessing the SP94 would be better...

I heard the ZALMAN puts up identical temps as the SP-94 with the same fan. For example if the Sp-94 was using the fan the ZALMAN was using the temps would be even with ZALMAN having an edge over the Sp-94.

Anyone know if this is true?

Another SLK-947U user here - dropped my P4 2.8E temps 11*C at full load (combined with better CASE airflow - very important as well). I used the new mounts that came with it (had to remove the MoBo). No biggie, as I had to dismantle the PC anyway to open up the front intake (120mm HD/Intake fan), and to cut a hole in the top for a 80mm exahust fan. VERY pleased with the 90mm TT fan on this HS (pretty quiet, too). :cool:

Alright, this is the thread of me, I have a Zalman CNPS-7000CU with a vantec Tornado mounted to it. I get the best from both worlds and its seriously not that loud, consitering I had 4 Vantec Tornados in my rig about a month ago and now I have 4 Vantec Spectrums and its pretty quiet (for me). The Zalman heatsink is better than the SP-94 and I have a 80MM tornado straped to it (ghetto mod). My temps dropped about 3C and its around 25 in 72F. I would go with the Zalman and mod it with Tornado. GO ZALMAN AND VANTEC!

This rite hea is probably Xtreme Air cooling and probably will be the best.

Attachments

• heatsink1_lg.jpg
    heatsink1_lg.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 106
stan03, ok. I have clips on my SLK-947U also. Just wanted to know if he managed to put the Tornado where the original fan is.

oc_newbee, what is that monster!? I've seen it somewhere but can't remember. :) I'm really thinking of watercooling my P4 now, I might reach 4GHz. :)

I really want to see how that huge aluminum heatsink would compare to the all copper (which is the BEST heat transfer metals) Zalman with a 92mm tornado.

I bet any amount of money that a Zalman like the one below:
35-118-109-04.JPG

along with the stock fan PLUS a 92mm tornado with a duct will outperform a SP-94 with a 92mm tornado.

For very quite cooling the Aeroflow HT-101 is the best HSF on low RPM fans. It even beats the Zalman. It certainly can't beat an SP-94 with a high RPM fan, but nothing can. So for quite, I'd go Aeroflow HT-101 and for loud I'd go SP-94 with a high RPM fan.

If you want links to prove the HT-101 cools better then the Zalman or any other HS at low RPMs do a search of "ht-101" in the General Cooling forum and find my post from months ago. It has links to reviews.

ps to answer some common questions about the tower style coolers, Push/pull is generally the best, they won't rip out your socket (atleast the HT-101 not sure about the TT) and they work as well on laying down as standing up (case on its side or standing up the pipes work the same).

I’m running a P4 2.8E at 3220GHz using a Swiftech MCX478-V with a 92mm Tornado, along with a Tiger 1 chipset cooler. Using MBM 5, my average CPU temp at idle is 34°c while the Mobo average temp is 30°c, in a room that is about 20°c. Playing games is a different story, average CPU temp is between 46°c and 50°c, and the Mobo only goes up a 1-2°c. I have reached 56°c but that was when the air conditioner was off for the day. I would overclock more but I am afraid that I could damage my MOFEST’s, not the CPU.
Also, I control the fan with a Vantec Nexus controller, at idle the CPU fan (Tornado) is at the lowest setting, while gaming it is running about 50% of the max speed. The Tornado is very loud, not unlike a small vacuum cleaner!

Back