• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best p4 hsf?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ib69nu

i have been looking into gettin a better than stock heat sink for my brand new p4. the retail one that i got really sucks. i have seen the thermal right ax-478 for $26, but i have heard of a couple people having these things fall off the base. I dont want that to happen. Maybe it was just a one in a million case.
the swiftech might not be an option because i am not 100% sure about the holes in the mobo. and they are a little expensive. i am looking to spend only $30 shipped. i already have a smart fan II from my volcano nine.

thanks

Are you concerned about noise or just looking for the best performing HSF?

Noise is just a function of the fan you fit. The AX478 is the best P4 solution for $25. You can use something as quiet as a Stealth Fan (27cfm) and get decent temps, steppig up to a 40cfm fan will give you approximately 5C reduction over the retail cooler. Fitting one with the 84cfm Volcano drops temperature to a level that rivals water cooling, but of course the noise is substantial.

I have two AX478's, both have no issue with falling apart. These are recently produced ones, so I think current production is fine. The general excellence of the design along with the fact you can fit any 80mm fan you wish makes this a top choice for S478 use, even though it is inexpensive. The Swiftech is the only thing out there I would like, and as noted they do command a healthy premium over the AX478

Last edited:
Back