• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best P4 HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stan03

ill start the first SLK ALL THE WAY post. yea the overwhelming reply will be the SLK800-900 seris

Nerdwannabe

Cooler Master IHC-H71 will be a cheaper alternative to SLK-900. If noise will be an issue, IHC-L71 is a good alternative. Just dont' expect super performance from that silent slow spin low cfm fan though.

Redstone

I’m partial to the Swiftech MCX4000. My temps stay between 30-42c (MBM5, EZ Tune) with a Panaflo H1 fan. My case and fan set up help keep the temps down as well.
Also it looks damn cool.
When I was researching, either the SLK 900 or the MCX4000 would come out on top depending on which comparison review you happen to be reading.

philbert

According to the Overclockers review of the SLK900 it says you can't use a 92mm fan on a P4?? That really sucks, I was just about set on ordering one but now I'm reconsidering....

DeepScience

Super Kiwi
For P4 use, users have the option of either using the standard retention bracket or removing the bracket and mounting it with spring-loaded bolts.

ie, if you remove the mobo and use the bolts you can hang the world off it if you want.

BaldHeadedDork

Swiftech MCX4000 if your budget can afford a $50 heatsink.

For $30 I'll add a second vote for the Cooler Master IHC-H71.

BHD

stan03

philbert said:
According to the Overclockers review of the SLK900 it says you can't use a 92mm fan on a P4?? That really sucks, I was just about set on ordering one but now I'm reconsidering....

ehh? yes you can, if you read on it says you can only do that if you mount it on the retention bracket, if you mount it on the springs, then the 92 will be fine.

Redstone

Both the Thermalright 900 and the Swiftech have been recently modified to take 92mm fans. Not sure if the 92mm will push as much air as an 80mm. I am surprised how quiet the H1A runs at about 2900rpms.
The overclockers mcx4000 review really isn't up to date since they tested it with that lame TMD 70mm fan. Swiftech has discontinued shipping it with the heatsink.

philbert

stan03 said:

ehh? yes you can, if you read on it says you can only do that if you mount it on the retention bracket, if you mount it on the springs, then the 92 will be fine.

Ahh I see. Thanks for the clairification Stan and DeepScience. :) I think I'm gonna have to order one now, especially since SVC has 'em on sale at a good price....