• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best p4 mobo and processor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
Not sure anyone can answer that without know what your goals are and what apps you'll be running. Looking for all out performance? Are you on a tight budget? Not sure there is any "one" right answer either. Right now I'd recommend one of the 800 bus CPUs (2.4C, 2.6C, or 2.8C) and a Canterwood chipset mobo (Abit IC7 or Asus P4C800). There will probably be lots of opnions given to a question like this.

momchi

Registered
hmmmm...

tfr2087 said:
around $600 for performance

....hmmm... not sure you can get it ALL for ~ $600...

I'd reccommend 2.4C (800fsb) + P4C800/P4P800/IC7 (in order of less $). This is going to be $190 + $190/160 = $380 max

This leaves you with $220 to get RAM, Case/PowerSupply + ???

You will have to be OC-ing with 2.4C to get the "performance out" though. Depending on how hard you OC you may need better cooling. Better air/sinks can be another $50-60+. If you do not want to deal with all this, just spend these $50-60 on a CPU with higher multiplier (2.6C, 2.8C). The choices are limitless...
so it is up to you - how much you want to spend in time, effort, reading, money...

And lastly... why do you need this ? For many of us this is "almost useless" hunt... I mean...come on... you can play a nice game with even a more modest configuration... most of the time this hunt is just "for the love of the game !
.... people just like pushing their experience, limits...
...that's a whole another story :)

batboy

Senior Moment
Sure is tough getting any info out of him. If that budget is $600 for CPU and mobo, then you're in luck. Canterwood/P-4 "C" will run $350 to $400. If that's your whole budget for the entire system, then Houston we have a problem.

Icarus

batboy said:
Sure is tough getting any info out of him. If that budget is $600 for CPU and mobo, then you're in luck. Canterwood/P-4 "C" will run $350 to $400. If that's your whole budget for the entire system, then Houston we have a problem.

Not if he gets an Athlon system. ;)

timmyqwest

Disabled
I dont wana start too big of a fight here, but if he hurries and gets a 1700 DLT3C for $60 and an nf7-s for $120...that leaves alot of room for other things, and he's got a 2.0-2.5ghz AMD right there, which aside from mem bandwidth will compete very nicely to a cheaper intel rig.

OP
tfr2087

tfr2087

i already have a athlon 1700 clocked at 2.53, i just dont know much about intel processors and mobos.btw the $600 bucks is for mobo, processor and power supply.

momchi

Registered
tfr2087 said:
i already have a athlon 1700 clocked at 2.53, i just dont know much about intel processors and mobos.btw the $600 bucks is for mobo, processor and power supply.

Yeahhh ! I agree with timmyqwest :)
You have plenty of a budget for much more than PSU :D

Good luck !
P.S. ASUS's 800FSB boards (P4C800/P4P800) should fill you up for quite some time !
I just got P4P800 today. Search ASUSboards.com forums - seems like "wonder" for less $$
:p