• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best PC racing game?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yuriman

Im currently looking for the best pc racing game. Project Gotham is realy fun, but I figured there is something to match it on pc? No nascar plz.

R0CK3TM4NN

As a racing fan, I'm very dissapointed at the lack of good titles on the PC.

Let it be stated, that if you are a racing fan (and don't care about which platform), buy yourself a PS2, get Gran Turismo 3, and pre-order Gran Turismo 4. Those are (and will be) the greatest racing games ever.

There is nothing that even comes close to GT3 on PC or Xbox. NFSU is fun for about a few days, and then you'll realize how stupidly ridculous the entire game is ("I just maxed out my style points so I can get 3 more bars of speed, and NOS! WICKED, YEAH!!!111"). If you are into rally, try out RalliSport Challenge 1 and 2 (if you got an Xbox get 2, its a lot of fun). Also, if you want a REAL rally challenge, try Colin McRae Rally 4. That game has very uncompromizingly realistic physics. PGR2 is also fun on Xbox, but the real experience is on Xbox Live. The only purpose (for me, atleast) for the voice comm is to talk smack to your opponents, and thats a good deal of fun in and of itself. TOCA Race Driver 2 for PC is fun, and emulates the experience of GT3.

All in all, I hate to sound like a Gran Turismo fanboy, but any fan of the race car genre understands where I'm coming from. I'm sure a lot of us would love a PC version of GT4 (or even GT3) more than anything.

dicecca112

I am a huge fan of the Need for Speed Series. I love Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, and Need for Speed Undergroud looks great but haven't played it yet.

Avg

dicecca112 said:
I am a huge fan of the Need for Speed Series. I love Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, and Need for Speed Undergroud looks great but haven't played it yet.

Well unike most of the other NFS series NFSU is not a racing simulation, it's fun if you like arcade but i'm looking for something more realistic and not one of my favorites.

A game that has a great idea is Street Legal 1 & 2, great idea but crappy programing, it's very buggy, and Invictus never released the last patch which many players worked so hard on testing it and even fixing it for them.

daniel_dynasty

nfsu 2 is coming out soon. well nfs is for the looks and 'coolness' or racing. if you jus want plain racing get rally racing games.

Robrules18

R0CK3TM4NN, I didnt really like GT3, i liked simulation and mclimbing the ladder, but the game was just too realistic and not realistic enough for me at the same time, Now since im 15 and all ive never really driven a car, much less at over 100 mph. But steering on that game is terrible, I understand you can make a perfect turn at 100+ but the brakes are awful too they have two settings, on or off. Now maybe these things would be better if i had a wheel and pedal but im a cheap skate.

And the not realistic enough is how you take no damage, and whats ythe point of tire damage i did a 50 lap race to see what happened with them, i got them all red and never pitted and nothing happened, i may have lost a few Mph but that was it. With aforementioned super stiff steering, i hit walls alot at up to 150 mph and if i just happen to do this then i expect to have my car utterly destroyed, not back up and drive away without so much as a paint scratch...

Just seems a shame to have supposedly realistic car controls yet have everything else be completely unrealistic.

Oh well, getting back on topic I love burnoout 2 (who doesnt love causing 35 million in damages in 10 seconds) but its not for PC and its not a racing game so muich as a crashing game.

but NFS 2 was good i loved being the cop and pulliong speeders over.

sethmo

Registered
Live for Speed is the most realistic driving game I have ever played. Hands down. The graphics are a little under par compared to some of the newer games, but it has got to be one of the most realistic.

SimBins GTR is awesome too. It sounds and looks amazing, but theres something in the feel of LFS that GTR doesnt have. I like them both :)

BTW. If you want realistic racing games you have to realistic equipment. I use a Logitech MOMO Force wheel and Act Labs Performance pedals and GPL shifter. Great stuff.

Drec

im surprised no body mentioned any driv3rs *hint hint* not racing exactly..but its driving. i played GT2 like there was no tomorrow on my ps1 it held me addicted for months collecting mad cars and maxing em out. i like all the NFS games EXCEPT underground....a cool game gone ghetto....nuh uh.

arunabh

Registered
i'm also a big fan of Need For Speed series....NFS Underground is the best till date according to me..:)

Gautam

Senior Benchmark Addict
I hate NFS Underground with a passion. With that said, my all-time favorites are NFS:High Stakes, NFS:porsche Unleashed, and for gameplay, Hot Pursuit 2. TOCA Racer Driver 2 from the demo looks great to me, too.

Drec

Gautam said:
I hate NFS Underground with a passion.

ditto to that. gay how they went from super high preformance cars you'll never own, to stupid supped up hondas with 4,000 dollar wheels that i can go outside and see if i wanted...totally not the NFS style i was used to.

shard

hey robrules18, before you say the steering is crappy first go drive a car at 130MPH and THEN gripe about steering. take it from me i race cars.(well not anymore but.....)

daniel_dynasty

gautam if u hat nfs why do you have that avatar lol. if you cant experience performace cars you play videos games. thats the whole point. to me nfs appeals to the younger crowd who hasnt owned a car or driven yet (me).

Drec

daniel_dynasty said:
gautam if u hat nfs why do you have that avatar lol. if you cant experience performace cars you play videos games. thats the whole point. to me nfs appeals to the younger crowd who hasnt owned a car or driven yet (me).

he said he hates NFS UNDERGROUND...if his avatar had a honda civic in it then i'd ask him that question.

tomchong

i cant vouch for toca 2 on pc, but it was a very fun game on the xbox. how about formula 1 racing. i think the latest one is made by ea and is called championship 2001-2003 or something like that. i play 2002 version also by ea, anyway, very realistic physics, tonnes of tuning options, might be a winner if your into more simulation style racing.

theELVISCERATOR

Yuriman said:
Im currently looking for the best pc racing game. Project Gotham is realy fun, but I figured there is something to match it on pc? No nascar plz.

try grand prix legends

oso_fast

well for the best simulation of racing, id have to say f1 2002 or even more realistic, f1 challenge. both challenging games but once u get the hang of it, u'll have a hard time getting off.