• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best possible GPU for my poor Athlon II X4 620.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Psof

PSU: Cooler Master B600 ver. 2.0 (600w) (I bought that one a few months ago)
CPU: Athlon II X4 620 @ 2.6 Ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte Ga-ma790XT UD4P
Ram: 4x2gb DDR 3 1066mhz (They are 1333mhz but for some reason at that speed my PC has random freezes)
GPU: Ati radeon HD 5770 1gb

Ok I know my system is pretty old but my budget limits me to either change my mobo and cpu or just my gpu. I think changing the 5770 will give me the biggest possible performance boost but I'm worrying that my mobo won't be able to handle the modern GPUs, or my weak CPU will give the new GPU a severe bottle neck and waste half its power. I'm not playing heavy in cpu demands games like MMOs or RTS games but just every kind of RPG, FPS etc at 1080p resolution.

Games I would like to be able to run (and can't atm) are. Witcher 3, The new Assassin's Creed(s), The new Dark Knight, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor and I would also like to be able to play with better FPS the GTA V and Skyrim with a heavy mod pack.
I know the above games are extremely heavy but anyway I'm only asking for a playable circumstances with above 30 FPS or so..

I'm considering one of the following GPUs:

Various(tier 1)brands of GTX 960 2gb(the 4gb models are too expensive in my country)
Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 380 4gb
R9 280X 3gb

Are they too powerful for my system? My mobo won't be able to even recognise any of those since its latest bios update was from 2012?

I know I'm aiming a bit too high for this system but I want to obtain a strong GPU to last at least 2-3 years down the road in case I find some more money in the future and be able to also upgrade both my CPU and Mobo and take full advantage of the new GPU afterall.

Do you also think that a possible overclock to my CPU at around 3-3.2 Ghz will make any difference to the bottle neck at all? I know that this CPU is able to reach that or even @ 3.5-3.6 ghz if you change the Core voltage but in order to do that I need to buy a good cooler first since with it's stock it runs @ 70-71c on full load without overclock. A good cooler like Coolermaster Hyper 412S costs 40-50 euros in my place so I don't want spend that kind of money for nothing really.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Grab the 280x and call it day. The cpu may put a glass ceiling on it, but, nothing you can do about that anyway except perhaps overclock the cpu.

Why the 280x? Any particular reason other than the better overall benchmark results? Maybe because it's older?
Do you think an overclock @ 3.0-3.2 ghz would make any difference at all in the modern games?

Last edited:
It's 3gb of ram and it's faster than the rest listed.

Yes it could make a difference, hence why I suggested doing it! :)

Back