• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best price/performance/noise HSF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

No, I showered
When I order a new CPU to replace my old T-Bird that I toasted, I'm going to order a new HSF as well. No point in using the Alpha 8045 since that's what toasted it in the first place. Plus I really don't want to have to remove the motherboard again to install it.

So, what I'm trying to figure out is the best HSF to get. I'll be using a low-medium airflow fan on it. No Deltas or similar for me thanks. I'm thinking something in the 20-30 dB range, so probably around 25-30 cfm airflow.

It also needs to mount using the lugs on the side of the socket, not the mounting holes.

And oh yeah, it can't be very expensive. Preferably no more than $30 or so.

So what's going to be the best HSF to meet my expectations. I'd hoped to go watercooling, but simply can't afford it right now.

dude you have exactly the same way of thinking i have :D . After all my experience i must say this is the setup to get:

SK-7 ($29 shipped at newegg)
Sunon High Speed Fan 39CFM 36Db(the one in my primary rig, $5 at newegg) Its not that noisy, it does pretty well

I'm sure this is the premium price/noise/performance setup for todays cooling

enjoy

basically you are looking for a copper lump weighing 1 pound or more. I believe Thermalright SK7 is most bang for buck solution for socket A out there. The stock fan is probably too loud, so get a 120mm panaflo case fan, you can superglue it to the heatsink if you are too lazy to find an adapter, let the fan run at 5V and you will have superb cooling without noise:D.

SK7 and AX7 were both under consideration. I just wasn't sure which was better. I was also looking at something like one of the new Thermaltake Volcanos, though I believe the Thermalrights are better. Has anyone tried the TMD fans with the SK7? Did it help any?

I think that Sunon fan that was mentioned I've already got, so I wouldn't even need to buy a new one if I used that. It's a touch noiser than I'd like, but no worse than what I've been using. Plus I guess with 4 others going at once (at 7v), I really won't notice it.

I would recommend an AX-7 a bit more exp[ensive but you nca have an 80mm fan which will be much more noise/airflow efficiant.

SK7 is 80mm also I think, and ranks a bit better than the AX-7 in the heatsink database...

Definetly looks like the way to go since its half the price of the others up there!

Looks like the SK7 is what I'll go with then. Thanks guys.

Incidentally, can anyone recommend a good 60mm fan for my wife's OCZ Gladiator? The one on there now is going out and vibrates, causing my case (and hers when I eventually put it back) to vibrate. Her system isn't overclocked (much) so I don't need anything too exotic (I.E. no Deltas)

Back