• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best proc for overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GTac02

which one will hit the highest? should i get a 2.4 or 2.6 (same price) what difference will 2.8 and 3.0 make? is it worth it?

flapperhead

it depends on whether u want a hi fsb or the fastest cpu overclock,and how much cash u are willing to spend. the 2.4c mo runs to about 3.5-3.6 which will give u a hi-fsb and memory thruput. the faster cpu's, 3.2-3.0 will probably overclock higher (3.6-3.8).but your fsb and memory thruput will not be as great, and they are considerably more expensive.

mn4az

Registered
Way rookie question... for gaming do you want the want the hi-fsb and memory throughput?

If the answer is yes then I would assume for intense processor apps (video/audio encoding) that you'd want the faster CPU.

OP
G

GTac02

This is a real hard topic i guess. Ill spend as much as i need to, Im just starting to build a new pc, and i want to get the chip that will give me the best performance. I guess the 2 choices are:

2.4 m0 with mushkin lvl 2 pc3500 5:4 at ~300fsb ~3.6ghz
or
2.8 m0 with mushkin lvl 2 pc3500 1:1 at ~250fsb ~3.5ghz

Using sp-94 heatsink with variable delta 119cfm, and case with 7 fans.

gruvin2

GTac02 said:
This is a real hard topic i guess. Ill spend as much as i need to, Im just starting to build a new pc, and i want to get the chip that will give me the best performance. I guess the 2 choices are:

2.4 m0 with mushkin lvl 2 pc3500 5:4 at ~300fsb ~3.6ghz
or
2.8 m0 with mushkin lvl 2 pc3500 1:1 at ~250fsb ~3.5ghz

Using sp-94 heatsink with variable delta 119cfm, and case with 7 fans.

I'm gonna guess that getting to 250FSB 1:1 is not going to be easy with pc3500. As well as 300FSB stable even with a m0 cpu. Don't mean to rain on your parade, just that there are few and far between that can do that stable. As for deciding between the 2.4/2.6 since price is the same i say go for the 2.6.

OP
G

GTac02

man... I just want the best mix...

What will give me best performance, ive waitied 1.5 years to build a cool overclockable pc, this chrismas it could happen. Now ive read ALOT and know alot about this stuff, I even got to build my cuzin's pc with stuff like asus p4c800 2.4c and adata memory.

I would like to make me a better system. I know what case and psu im getting, and i just need your opinions.

I could get:

2.4c to get highest fsb but at 3:2 with mushkin
2.8c to get 5:4 with mushkin
3.0c to get 1:1 with mushkin

And SO MANY more possibilities ive studied. I already have a fx5900 ultra btw, between other things, ( i have a dell...).

What will give me better performance, im also using a sp-94 for cooling with a tornado I guess. Best performance as in stable, and highest scores in benchies i guess...

Its late at night, sorry if some of this doesnt like make sense, lol.

EDIT: im also going to vmod my board to squeeeze the mushkin.

ALSO, do you think i should get a 2.8c m0 (somehow DONT worry about money) so that i could maybe reach really the highest on 1:1. Ive heard the lowest one of these do is like 3.6ghz, some do 4ghz so imagine 5:4 280fsb*14~4ghz, it aint happening on air, but 5:4 264fsb*14~3.7ghz.

Or theres the 2.4c way, i dont like this one, and i dont wanna do it, unless it does give better results, i could get a m0.

Last edited:

PhobMX

well i suggest you to get better ram from the very start, pc3500 at least... so that if you run at 5:4 with a p4c 2.6 you can shoot to a somewhat realistic 3510mhz speed.

The only way you could get to a high speed with 1:1 would be to buy pc3700 ram and a p4 3.0c to shoot up to 3495MHz.

as a bottom line these are TOP results, even if you use the sp and a tornado its still difficult to reach these speeds i mention. and remember the tornado is a noisy mofo. So i suggest you to go 2.6 and pc3500 route.

Its just me but i wouldnt give fsb for nothing, i myself would get a 2.4c m0 and pc3700. Ive proven myself, maybe its just placebo, but more fsb feels smoother in games.

batboy

Senior Moment
I don't think GT will be happy with a 2.6C and sounds like he's not thrilled about a 2.4C even if it's a M0 stepping... so, that leaves the 2.8C M0 (SL6Z5). Hitting 250 FSB should be a good gamble. With good cooling, I think 3.6 gig might be even within reach. It could go lower or higher even.

The RAM is going to be a bit tougher. The two main choices are 5:4 ratio with tight timings or more expensive RAM that will do 1:1 ratio and looser timings. I doubt that Mushkin PC3500 (even as good as it is) will do 250 FSB using the 1:1 ratio.

pkrew

Well, I just ordered some, so I quess we'll see. Of course you can't really tell from just one persons experience.